Chair Support. Is there anything available to hold you upright in your wheelchair? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chair Support. Is there anything available to hold you upright in your wheelchair?

Gavmar
Gavmar Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, mAll.

My father in law has Parkinson's and has had a mini stroke. When he is in his wheelchair he falls over to the right hand side, is there anything available to hold him upright in the chair. Thank you.

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
     Yes of course, this is a routine situation for many people.  Can you contact whoever provided the wheelchair?
    Others who have the same requirements will no doubt post here with more details.  

P.S. It is lucky that he has you to research for him. Good on you!
  • Gavmar
    Gavmar Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi.
    I bought a motorised Reno elite wheelchair. I love him. He gave me one of the most precious things in my life., my wife.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gavmar - & welcome to the community. I would suggest you contact an occupational therapist to see what they might come up with. There are lateral supports such as in the following link, but I couldn't see a price. Please see: https://www.qbitus.co.uk/products/lateral-support-system/     I saw other lateral supports, but I don't think they'd attach to the wheelchair.

• WPM
    WPM Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    @Gavmar with those 2 diagnosis your FIL should meet the NHS criteria for a detail assessment and provision of supportive wheelchair to meet his changing needs
    Especially with Parkinson’s they re-assess as and when needed and  change equipment on wheelchair. 
    Do expect a waiting list though. 

He’s lucky to have you :)

All the best. 
  • zebragal
    zebragal Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    I would like to know if there is a similar thing for general chair and my arm chair, as have poor core control and always lean to the side when i am sitting and need to have help to sit straight but my OT was awful and not helpful at all 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    @zebragal I'm sorry to hear your OT was less than helpful, that is disheartening. I have similar poor core control myself, and tend to lean to the left.

I've not yet invested in any proper aids or equipment to counteract this in armchairs other than a lot of cushions. That and shifting my posture as regularly as I remember. Clearwell Mobility might be a good place to start, though their back supports don't offer a huge amount of choice. I wonder if those supports I've seen in cars might be worth looking into as well?

Please do let us know if we can be of any further help.

@Gavmar did you have any luck with your father in law? :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    @Gavmar I am reluctant to make any suggestions on manufacturer or type of support.  I have tried so many down the years.  @WPM is correct in saying your father-in-law should meet criteria to be assessed and then the 'correct' equipment provided.  Also, as @WPM says his needs will change, and it really is trial and error.

I think the best use of your time and effort will be directed in getting your FIL on and up the list to be assessed.  If you need assistance on how to get in touch with the correct people please let us know.

All the very best!
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    @zebragal I would not leave the matter of your 'OT being awful' there!  OT's are not supposed to be awful and are there to give help & advice.

If I were in your situation (as I have been more times than I care to remember) I would:
    1. Write down the ways in which your OT  was "awful and not helpful at all"
    2. Write down the issues you need resolving.
    3. Contact the relevant agency who put you in contact with your OT (it might be a Social Worker or Adult Care Services).  It might be your OT directly.
    4. Explain the unresolved issue.
    5. Give them an opportunity to fix the issue.

It is important to begin from a viewpoint that the "professionals" do want to help.  It is important to give them the opportunity to fix something they have missed.  If they do not, then you need to take a different approach.

I have been in many scraps with Professionals!  I have learned that taking a deep breath, giving them the opportunity to fix matters, is the best first step!

It is exhausting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • zebragal
    zebragal Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    JustPete said:
    @zebragal I would not leave the matter of your 'OT being awful' there!  OT's are not supposed to be awful and are there to give help & advice.

If I were in your situation (as I have been more times than I care to remember) I would:
    1. Write down the ways in which your OT  was "awful and not helpful at all"
    2. Write down the issues you need resolving.
    3. Contact the relevant agency who put you in contact with your OT (it might be a Social Worker or Adult Care Services).  It might be your OT directly.
    4. Explain the unresolved issue.
    5. Give them an opportunity to fix the issue.

It is important to begin from a viewpoint that the "professionals" do want to help.  It is important to give them the opportunity to fix something they have missed.  If they do not, then you need to take a different approach.

I have been in many scraps with Professionals!  I have learned that taking a deep breath, giving them the opportunity to fix matters, is the best first step!

It is exhausting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I had to put in a complaint, in the hope that the department will fix, don't know if just had a bad OT. I am aware that they are not all bad, I am sure there are great ones out there, but this one did not want to help. She refused basic access to help with any of my needs, and still tried to claim that front door was accessible even though she measured the door and the wheelchair and that was just some of it and I gave her many chances to fix it 

Brightness