Help needed notifying UC I'm a student on PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help needed notifying UC I'm a student on PIP

Options
MaxRD
MaxRD Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Sorry about the confusing title, just not sure how else to word it briefly. I have been tossing and turning this for months since getting UC early last year as I knew I would be going to university. 

I'm aware that usually University students cannot claim UC however I know that they can if they also have higher living rate of PIP (which I do).

They knew I was a college student last year but I've delayed on telling them I'm now at Uni until my finance came in. It did after I put in my monthly income for UC last month , so I'm anxious. I have to do it by journal as I'm unable to make phone calls , but I'm not sure what to say/type or if they even know I also get PIP. 

I've never used a forum before for this so I hope I've got this right. This is my first time handling benefits all by myself and I'm so overwhelmed.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    PIP isn't the only requirement you need when you claim UC as a student.
    Have you been assessed with the work capability assessment and found to have either LCW or LCWRA? If you haven't then you won't be entitled to UC while you're a student.
    As you'll also had your first student loan then you must report this, if it's a maintenance loan.
    MaxRD said:

I'm aware that usually University students cannot claim UC however I know that they can if they also have higher living rate of PIP (which I do).

New regulations came out for this not long ago. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2020/august/new-regulations-issued-excluding-disabled-students-universal-credit-entitlement

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will need to report the changes onto your journal. Any overpayment will need to be repaid back,
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.