Hi, my name is stacey1991! How do I report someone who receives PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is stacey1991! How do I report someone who receives PIP?

stacey1991
stacey1991 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi how do I report someone on pip that is capable to do everything 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    As above unless you know everything about this person and how they are against the pip descriptors they may well be entitled 

People go through a very rigorous process to be awarded pip that unless you have been through you wouldn't be aware of 

You should research pip fraud if you truly believe this is the case but they will only investigate if they think it is a valid case 
  • lili8719
    lili8719 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    edited November 2021
    (Removed by moderator, personal attack towards another member)
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    I think it’s an horrible thing to do to someone...someone reported a friend of mine and it caused them so much stress and anxiety...thankfully the DWP are usually aware when it just someone acting maliciously due to an argument/jealousy etc but they have to look into every single person who is reported.

I would never dream of doing something like that because as mentioned in the replies above, unless you live with that person on a 24/7 basis you really don’t know the ins and outs of how their condition affects them. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    (Removed by moderator, personal attack towards another member)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Hello and welcome to the community @stacey1991

As mentioned by others, many disabled people have "invisible impairments" which means that their condition is not immediately apparent, and you might not visibly be able to see how it impacts them on a daily basis. Often, this can lead to incorrect assumptions that a person is lying about or exaggerating their condition, which is not the case at all. You may have seen this recent campaign that Scope ran alongside ITV, which shines a light on invisible impairments, see the below YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVitgyLbYyg

I'm not sure how well you know the person you are considering reporting, but if it is somebody you perhaps aren't familiar with I would encourage you to consider that you may not be seeing the full picture of how their condition or conditions impact them. That may even be the case if you know the person well.

If you do believe that somebody is committing benefit fraud, you can view details on this page about reporting it.

Also, I just wanted to let you know @woodbine and @lili8719 that I have removed comments of yours from this thread for being personal attacks towards another member. I can understand the sensitivity of the subject for everybody who has commented, but that is no reason to make inappropriate remarks towards anybody, let alone a new member.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Sillymoo007
    Sillymoo007 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    I reported someone a few years ago. Now,I knew for certain there was nothing wrong with her. She had her finger in every pie,knew every trick in the book. She was also a prolific high end dog breeder and shower. So much so that she had a lavish lifestyle that we could only dream of. She claimed for so many different illnesses and her attic was full of binbags stuffed with unused medication. Do you know what happened...nothing. She continues to run rings around HMRC and DWP. I didn't do it maliciously. This woman is draining the tax payers purse. 
    I knew the woman on a familiar personal level. I knew she wasn't ill,disabled,single and not earning.I would not advocate reporting due to a grudge etc. Invisible illnesses are real,but so are benefit cheats.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    If I was out of order I apologise , but it is a subject that makes my blood boil, thankfully not something we see very often on here. Although it's odd that the OP has only been back to read two replies.

I'm out of this one  B)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,868 Disability Gamechanger
    That reminds me of when I was at work 1 day, a colleague who worked in a different area, one day demanded to know what was wrong with me as she had been refused pip. I mean, literally looking me all over. From head to toe. Of course I didn't tell her, yet she didn't realise the adaptions put in place, or that other colleagues did the things I struggled with.  She also wasn't at home with me when I could only manage a few  Steps to get to the loo. But she figured I looked OK.
  • Sillymoo007
    Sillymoo007 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    I'm not even going to read that passive aggressive novel @Username_removed.i knew because I was her sister in law. She actually gloated and not only told me,but many people about how she got away with it.
    I'm not thick. She was a benefit cheat and it wasn't just one benefit it was multiple!!!
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Closed - pending review. 
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.