Everyday life with IBS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Everyday life with IBS

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger

Experienced by many but discussed by few, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common, but under researched, condition.

From pressured morning routines to uncertain toilet provision, living with IBS can reshape everyday lives as unpredictable symptoms meet with inaccessible environments.

The below animation captures the common experiences of living with IBS in everyday life. 

You're invited to watch and listen and reflect upon what matters in improving the lives of those with IBS. 

By exploring these experiences, the film highlights how understanding them is important for improving health, wellbeing and inclusive societies for those living with hidden health conditions.

The video is based on Dr Lauren White's research into everyday life with IBS.

https://youtu.be/QLzNVdWXlhs

You can learn more about the film, and share your own experiences, by visiting the 'Everyday Life with IBS' webpage.

Do you live with IBS? How do you find living with IBS? What could be done to make your everyday life easier? 
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
Tagged:

Comments

• euro
    euro Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Is this just me?

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Might be your browser, etc. 

It’s working for me. 
  • euro
    MarkM88 said:
    Might be your browser, etc. 

It’s working for me. 
    Thank you.  I watched it on the laptop just fine.  Think I might have to install that software update on my phone I've been postponing for the last few weeks  :/
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad you got it working @euro :) Did you enjoy the video?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • euro
    I think it's a step in the right direction in terms of educating those not troubled by IBS. Enjoy is not the term I would use to describe my experience of the video, though :lol:

There's a lot not covered by it, perhaps because it is only based on 25 participant's interviews.  It seems to focus almost entirely on the need to empty one's bowels frequently and urgently and, though I applaud the researcher(s) for raising awareness of that, it is rather reductive.

One the of the most challenging aspects of IBS for me is the continuous noise my stomach makes whilst I eat and for a few hours after.  The inevitable gasses produced by digestion are even worse - it's still socially unacceptable to let that go in public, but it's really not practical (and often impossible) to hold it back until you can get somewhere private.  Running off to the toilet every 5 minutes to let it out is also frowned upon when you've got a job to do and deadlines looming. Granted, the video did cover difficulties with eating out in terms of knowing the exact ingredients in a meal and being able to quickly access a toilet (sound proofed and odour neutralising would be good :) or at least far enough away from other diners to not ruin their appetite).  When I was still working, I'd skip breakfast and only drink bouillon for lunch to cut down the noise I made.  Now, if I need to go somewhere, it's still on an empty stomach - reduces the embarrasing stares in waiting rooms or checkout queues :).  There's also the pain and cramps which can stop me mid stride and buckle me over which didn't get a mention in the video.  Or being so bloated that you can't tolerate wearing anything with a waistband (I know it's become acceptable to go out in a onesie, but I just can't bring myself to do it ?).

Thanks for sharing @Tori_Scope .  It's the first effort to highlight the condition that I've seen and I hope it sparks more.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    I can relate with IBS sufferers in a way, I have Crohn's disease which is similar in some symptoms but alot more complecations, symptoms and pain. Its not fun needed to go toilet very frequently and planning your journeys around having access to toilets. You have to be careful what you eat as some things make it worst, or in my case I have an ileostomy which is overactive so if I need to go anywhere I have to starve myself to avoid needing the toilet when out.

I think more awareness should be made for people with IBS, crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis, especially when your cut short and urgently need to use the toilet. One of the things that annoy me and put me off going anywhere is when I need to use the disabled toilets and someone has to say something on the way out. Usually "Thats the disabled toilet you know" it really frustrates me that people have to say something, and not understand what a hidden illness/disability is.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    As others have said, the video does seem quite basic, and perhaps even suggests that it's not as debilitating as it really is for some of us.

A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

Brightness