New home but without adaptions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New home but without adaptions

Options
LouRoots8
LouRoots8 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
I found out today that I have a place to move to. I had an OT assessment in July and the outcome was my property couldn’t be adapted to my needs. So I had to be transferred. I’ve been waiting then I found out today I’m moving. 

I’m a wheelchair user but have a heap of health issues. 

The property I am moving to is not adapted. They said they would do the adaption before I moved it. Although I’m guessing that depends on the amount of adaptions needed. 

It needs ramps putting in and probably a lot of work. 

I was wondering if anyone new if this would be done quickly or not.would I have to start the disabled facilities grant process. I couldn’t start in July because the property was unsuitable.  

It’s likely that the doors will need widening. 

It’s going to be quite a lot of work. I can’t be in the property is it’s dusty or paint as it triggers my breathing issues. 

Im a little concerned that I’m going to be put in a place and left with everything in the air. So was wondering if anyone else had experience. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    When i moved house some years ago because adaptions couldn't be done to the house i was living in, the adaptions were already done to the house i moved into.
    What you should do is speak to the local Authority you will be moving to and they will tell you everything you need to know.
    Good luck with the house move :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LouRoots8
    LouRoots8 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
    Thanks @poppy123456

i am guessing I will know more Monday. 
    I also don’t know how quickly it will all happen. 

I’m around this week the in hospital for 2 weeks for treatment so depending on time frames I need to get things moving. 

Brightness