Need advice on LCWRA, Carers Allowance, and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need advice on LCWRA, Carers Allowance, and PIP

Shazzron
Shazzron Community member Posts: 21 Listener
Hi it's Sharon I'm not sure if I'm in the right room for some advice on lcwwra and carers allowance for my husband advice for pip also sorry it's only my second time on here 

Comments

• Shazzron
    edited November 2021
    Hi just asking if I could have any advice 
    Me and my wife are on universal credit and my wife has just been awarded lcwwra last month I have been told to apply for carers allowance and pip but not sure where to start as I have dslexia and struggle with forms any advice would be great or a point in the right direction thanks

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shazzron :) I've moved your post into our general benefits and financial support category, as it seems as though you have a couple of questions about a few different benefits. 

You're welcome to ask any questions you may have about LCWRA, Carers Allowance, and PIP, and we can do our best to answer those for you. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Shazzron
    Thank you basically me and my wife are on long term sick we get universal credit my wife got lcwwra awarded in October 2021 backdated 18 months as we were waiting to find out if she would qualify for lcwwra I thought I had to wait for the assessment for my wife to apply for carers element for caring full time for my wife as she now got awarded I'm not sure what to do about the carers allowance for caring for my wife 
    Also I had a meeting at the jobcentre and my work coach said as I'm caring for my wife full time  I wouldn't be expected to attend the jobcentre and I should update my universal credit file to state I'm her carer and that I should apply for DLA I have tried to search for advice but I struggle with forms and have bad depression and dslexia and struggle with writing and anxiety I appreciate this is a lot of questions but any help would be great thanks 

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shazzron thanks for reaching out! I'm sure lots of our members will be able to advise you. Try and break it down into small steps, and not think of the big picture.

Scope has some great resources to help with PIP applications here, and Carer's Allowance here.

I've marked your post as unanswered to help our members find it. Do let us know if we can help you any further.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Shazzron
    Also not sure where to go on this website for further advice or discussion I'm not to good with the technology
    Also how do I find my replies to this re ent post 
    Thanks again 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Yes you can ask your questions on here 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

You can only apply for carers element if the person you care for gets pip or dla so the first point would be pip application 

You can start the application for pip by calling them 

The process does take a while and in some cases taking around 10 months from start to finish due to backlogs 

Once you get the forms there is lots info in our pip section you may find useful 

You can also see if any local advice centres can offer support 

Or of course ask any further questions here 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    You can't apply for DLA because this no longer exists, PIP has replaced this. If your wife is receiving either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then you can report the changes onto your journal to tell them you're caring for her and then they will add the carers element to your maximum UC entitlement.
    You don't need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to the carers element but if you do claim this it will be deducted in full from your UC. It also pays class 1 NI credits, where as UC only pays class 3.

If she doesn't claim either of those disability benefits above then you will not be able to claim either carers allowance or carers element.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Shazzron
    My wife has been notified in October this year she has got awarded lcwwra backdated 18 months was told she would get a letter with the award broken down but it only come via note in our journal we have no facility to print it off on my first face to face meeting with my work coach in the jobcentre she told me as I'm a full time carer for my wife I must update my journal to say I'm her full time carer and apply for DLA carers allowance on trying to get advice I struggle as I'm off work with anxiety and depression I also have problems with my reading and writing and from filling as I have dslexia not sure where to turn as my search gave more confusing info on the subject. To simplfy I want to ask if I can
    How do I apply for carers allowance
    How do I apply for pip for me and my wife
    How do I apply for a blue badge
    How do I get a print out on paper  of the award i can't  print off my journal
    If I do get carers allowance will it be backdated to when my wife got her lcwwra as we were told we had to wait for the lcwwra assessment results before applying for the carers ellement
    I'm really sorry it's a lot of questions hope you can advise please do what you can

• Shazzron
    Hi my wife doesn't get DLA or pip just lcwwra will this count 

• Shazzron
    So my wife has to apply for pip for herself do I have to make a separate claim for pip and do we have to wait for my wife's desision on her pip application before I can apply for pip carers allowance this is all confusing as I suffer dislexia reading and writing and struggle with form filling I'm further confused as my first face to face meeting with my work coach last week she said update my journal put that I care for my wife full time and I won't be required to attend anymore face to face appointments ther and should claim DLA so confusing hope you can help with some clarification
    Also got told to use my wife's lcwwra breakdown letter on claimin dlA 
    Sorry not sure what to d

• M3dcol
    M3dcol Community member Posts: 62 Connected
    Hi @Shazzron, Your local library will have a printer you can use, alternatively take a screenshot and save it to wherever you choose (email, onedrive, Google drive, sd etc). In regards to carers allowance you have to be in receipt of pip or disability living allowance and it will be backdated to your initial claim for it unless you have mitigating factors that prevented your claim being made earlier. Just go to your council website to apply for a blue badge. I would suggest that you go to a local cab, or community hub (library for example) for help as there are a number of issues you have that can't be sufficiently resolved in a chat room. I hope you find resolution 
  • Shazzron
    Hi 
    Thanks for the reply you mentioned DLA I'm a little confused as I have been told DLA has stopped is this corre t if not how does my wife apply for DLA Any advice would be wonderful thanks again 

• poppy123456
    You can't apply for either Carers Allowance or carers element of UC unless your wife is claiming PIP daily living. As advised, you can't claim DLA because it no longer exists, it has been replaced with PIP.
    Your wife being found to have LCWRA doesn't qualify you for claiming either of those. You just have a very understanding work coach who has decided that you don't have to attend any appointments, which is good.
    PIP and LCWRA are 2 completely different benefits, with totally different criteria.
    See link on how to claim PIP. https://www.gov.uk/pip
    There's more information here regarding PIP https://pipinfo.net/ Your wife may want to get some expert advice to check that she qualfies for PIP before applying. Backlogs are huge and the estimated timescale from applying to having a decision is about 10 months. Start here and put your postcode in and choose a topic "welfare benefits" https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    It's very confusing when starting multiple threads with the same questions, i've answered most of your questions on your other thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/86331/need-advice-on-lcwra-carers-allowance-and-pip#latest

• poppy123456
    @Alex_Scope could you please emerge this thread with this one https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/86331/need-advice-on-lcwra-carers-allowance-and-pip#latest it gets very confusing when answering the same questions on multiple threads.

• poppy123456
    To apply for a blue badge you need to do that through your local Authorities wed site. LCWRA doesn't automatically qualify you for this so you would need to look at the criteria for this, all local Authorities have their own criteria if you don't automatically qualify. https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge#

You don't need to print off anything from your journal to claim PIP because they are 2 completely different benefits. Please see links i posted above.

• Shazzron
    Hi 
    Can anyone please tell me 
    Will my wife's lcwwra stop if I get a job 

Can anyone please tell me 
    Will my wife's and my pip (once we have applied and got it awarded) stop if I get a job

Does DLA still exist? Lots of different answers 
    Thanks for any advice please 

• M3dcol
    M3dcol Community member Posts: 62 Connected
    Agreed @poppy123456, too much information across multiple threads does not help the posting person. @Shazzron dla is now pip, although not everyone has been moved across yet
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2021
    Your wife's LCWRA doesn't affect you working. You will have the work allowance which means you can earn a certain amount of money each month before you start to see deductions for earnings. If you claim for help with your rent you will be able to earn £335 each assessment period. If you don't claim for help with the rent then you can earn £557 before the deductions apply.
    People do work and claim PIP but if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP then it can go against you.
    The other questions about PIP and DLA have already been answered on your other threads.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.