Hi, my name is chris1723! I am having trouble getting my driving licence — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is chris1723! I am having trouble getting my driving licence

chris1723
chris1723 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi new on here and I am having troubles getting my driving licence 
Tagged:

Comments

• chris1723
    Anyone had problems with the dvla?
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chris1723

Thanks for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties with this. Do you know why this is happening? You can find contact details for the DVLA at https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla. I hope this helps! Hopefully, you will receive your driving licence soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

A few other members have mentioned long delays getting their driving licence renewed I think they are suffering huge backlogs like many other services 
  • chris1723
    Yes please as its getting me down 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chris1723

It is understandable that it is getting you down and we are sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, we cannot speed up the DVLA. However, you could contact them using the link provided which may have the same outcome (fingers crossed!). Please let us know how you get on. We are sending you the best of luck  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • chris1723
    My problem is I passed my driving test in July but they cancelled the pass as my provisional licence was out of date but I had two test dates cancelled because of covid within the dates my licence was valid as my licence run out in February and my test was in July but the driving examiner checked my licence before the test and I have also seen on line that the dvla should have let me know 90 days beforehand that my licence would run out
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @chris1723

Welcome to the community :) 

Sorry to hear that you are having challenges with getting your driving licence, and that it is impacting your well-being. I understand though that it must be quite frustrating.

I just wanted to let you know that I have moved your discussion over to our transport category, and edited the title somewhat so that other members know what the topic of the discussion is.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chris1723
    Many thanks,this is all new to me and I am trying to get used to this app 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    If i'm honest i do think it's upto the driver or in this case the learner driver to ensure their licence is valid, that said there have been huge problems with the DVLA it's part of them problem that we are short of 100,000 HGV drivers.
    From what i recall reading earlier in the year they didn't allow their staff to work from home for some bizarre reason.
    @chris1723 welcome to scope, and i'm sorry to hear you are having these problems.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chris1723
    They have been on strike and have been taking action well before the covid struck,and I had two test dates cancelled withing the time limit of my provisional licence expiring plus they are meant to send you a reminder that your licence is running out 90 days beforehand and the first thing the examiner did was check my licence before I took my test and he said everything was in order,
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Regardless of the reminder, it's your responsibility to make sure your licence is valid. Sounds like the examiner didn't do their job properly.
    The driving tests that were canceled is irrelevant here. Hopefully, you won't be waiting too long. A friends son applied for their license in August and just received it back. So hopefully, not too long for you but if medical conditions were declared then it may take longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chris1723
    I was refused a disability test as the car never had no adaptions and they said I had to take a normal test 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    Goodluck with DVLA they are a joke, I applied for my medical license back in March and still waiting for it. They have had all the evidence from the doctors since August 2nd too, and its near impossible to get in touch with them unless you spend half the day spamming the phone number hoping you get put in a queue.

Last time I had a conversation with them they said that the medical department is the only department that can't work from home due to sensative medical information, and as such they are very low staffed. But the whole of DVLA is a mess at the moment with not sending reminders, and huge delays and backlogs. I really think the government should step in as its been like this for over a year, and some people are even losing their jobs becuase they can't get their license. We need another DVLA that can handle the workload rather than just one building in Swansea.

Also the staff there don't help as they have been on strike 2/3 times this year, which causes even more problems and backlogs. At this point i'm past frustrated with them as I'm trapped without my license and not having the freedom to go places.
  • chris1723
    Thank you for your words of support rubin,since July I have been trying to get though to the dvla and when you do get though after so long in waiting they can't tell you anything as they tell you its higher up the chain and they  cant comment and when you insist they say they have to terminate the phone call,its a very shabby service run by a militant union and I would imagine the government can't do nothing about it as they carry to much clout unfortunately as  they could create total chaos if they went on a total strike they are allowed to get away with it,wishing you get your licence soon 

Brightness