Hi, my name is Tina_G! PIP decision was not awarded — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Tina_G! PIP decision was not awarded

Tina_G
Tina_G Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi. My name is Tina.
I have had narcolepsy and cataplexy for 16 yrs. Is there anyone else on here that has it to? Also claimed PIP which decision was not awarded. And 2nd decision the same. Now going for appeal. Anyone? Help and advice appreciated. Thank you. ?

Comments

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hello @Tina_G :) 

Welcome to the community! 

Thank you for sharing a little bit about yourself and for reaching out about the PIP process.

I'm sorry to hear that your PIP case was not awarded, that must have been difficult for you. Unfortunately, it is quite common that individuals are not awarded PIP in the first instance, and it takes for an appeal to be awarded the payment. Please feel free to take a look around our PIP/DLA/AA category, which can be found here. This category will be helpful for you, as others have shared their PIP experiences in there too. To help increase the responses to your post, I will also move it into the PIP/DLA/AA category. This will hopefully ensure more users view and comment on your post. 

We hope you find the community helpful and that you make some new friends along the way! If you have any other queries, please just let us know.

Libby

Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Tina_G
    Tina_G Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Libby
    Thanks for replying to me. Yes will look into the info you said to. ?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Tina_G

Welcome to the community, it's nice to see you join us. Sorry to hear that your PIP was turned down, but hopefully the appeal goes well. It can be quite disheartening to go through these steps when you believe you should be entitled, but it's always worth continuing if you feel as though you have a strong case. 

How are you managing with your narcolepsy and cataplexy? I'm sure we will have other members on the community with experience of those conditions. Please feel free to have a browse and get involved with whatever discussions take your fancy, and you are always welcome to ask any questions that come to mind.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,326 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately, it is quite common that individuals are not awarded PIP in the first instance, and it takes for an appeal to be awarded the payment.

I will have to disagree with this, sorry. The majority of people claim successfully first time, with no problems. It's perfectly normal to mostly hear the bad stories on any internet forum because if someone's had a decision they're happy with, we don't hear their story.
    @Tina_G Hi, PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. To get some expert advice start here. https://advicelocal.uk/ if you can get representation then even better.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Unfortunately, it is quite common that individuals are not awarded PIP in the first instance, and it takes for an appeal to be awarded the payment.

I will have to disagree with this, sorry. The majority of people claim successfully first time, with no problems. It's perfectly normal to mostly hear the bad stories on any internet forum because if someone's had a decision they're happy with, we don't hear their story.
    @Tina_G Hi, PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. To get some expert advice start here. https://advicelocal.uk/ if you can get representation then even better.

Hi @poppy123456

That's more than fine and I understand your point too. I believe that we don't hear enough about the successful claimants and we hear more so about the unsuccessful ones. I guess what's important is to keep open minded when going into the assessment and preparing for a variety of outcomes :).

Thank you for signposting @Tina_G, to the advicelocal link. I'm sure that it will be a helpful resource.  Please keep us updated on the appeal @Tina_G and good luck!
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tina_G - & welcome to the community. :)  We have a lovely member that also has narcolepsy & cataplexy (+ other disorders), whom I'll tag in the hope that she sees your post. Hoping you're keeping as well as can be @cat_hug & hoping too you don't mind me tagging you. :)
    I'm sorry about your PIP MR, Tina, & that you're now appealing. Fortunately the success rate is better with a tribunal, & having representation may increase your chances, so do look at the advicelocal link that Poppy provided, to see if there's a Welfare Rights Office or Citizens Advice near you.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    To all those people thinking or make a claim for PIP, have you taken a self test to see how you would fair in an assessment. Be totally honest with your answers remembering that you should be able to preform the descriptors safely and repeatedly and in a timely manner. If your self test indicates that an award is possible then set about getting information and evidence medical or other to prove your inabilities in preforming each of the descriptors that you are unable to cope or manage according to the PIP descriptors. Any information you submit with you application will have to be justified at your assessment either telephone or most likely face to face. Most people get their correct award my first 2 where spot on and  the third I did an MR and won an higher award for daily living . Having the correct supportive evidence about your inabilities are a great help. Plus a good MR if needed after reading the assessment report I had 8 weeks to prepare my MR 10 A4 pages printed out ready to send once I received the award notification letter, I requested my MR informed the operator it was being posted that morning.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I think it's been mentioned @wilko - that self tests are not particularly reliable, & that the most important evidence will be the claimant's own anecdotal evidence. Medical evidence will not often relate to the PIP descriptors, & would not be needed to be justified, rather a person's functional ability would be questioned depending on the level of relevant information given in the PIP2 claim pack. So on that part I must politely disagree. Also, for many, getting the assessor's report can increase anxiety, etc., & some erroneously concentrate on the report, which doesn't help with a PIP claim.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,326 Disability Gamechanger
    wilko said:
    To all those people thinking or make a claim for PIP, have you taken a self test to see how you would fair in an assessment.

I'm just curious why you advise people to use the PIP self test. It's not helpful to use this at all, especially if someone doesn't fully understand the descriptors and few people do. It gives a very inaccurate result if you don't understand them. Not only is it very easy to overscore yourself, it's also very easy to underscore yourself. It makes no difference whether someone is totally honest, it's still not accurate.
    It's much better for someone to get some expert advice before applying and this way they will know for certain whether they qualify.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.