New Strain of Covid — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Strain of Covid

Options
Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
edited November 2021 in Coffee lounge
There is a new strain of Covid that started in south Africa. Now confirmed to be over here. Just in time for Christmas. (Oh Joy)
As yet the Scientists have no idea if the jabs we have had including the boosters will be affective against it and they say it will be next year before they have one to fight it. 
We may have to have a 4th jab. 
Should we go into some kind of lock down again?
For now the government have said we have to wear masks in shops. At this time of year with all the shopping going on and the many who will ignore it. What do you think will happen as a result? I for one fear the worst.
For I believe the government dare not do anything to interrupt Christmas for fear of the backlash. This could then cause it to start all over again. 

Tagged:

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I do think it’s going to be harder to get people to follow mask wearing again and the same with any further measures they decide to impose. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is the new strain bur even without it it's not gone away just hope everyone is sensible and do the right thing wearing a mask in my opinion isn't a hardship 

Unlike if we have to lockdown again fingers crossed as don't know if hospitality trade could survive another Christmas period of closing 
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    I've never stopped wearing my mask, despite the negative comments I've had, usually reminding me in a very condescending voice that 'they're not needed now love.'  

A lot of people didn't follow the rules the first time around, I can't see that changing this time.

As for another lockdown, I think some restrictions will be put in place, but I don't think it will be a full lockdown again.  But for some people, lockdown is just normal life.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have noticed over the last couple of weeks more people wearing mask while out shopping, the new strain is definitely cause for concern as the transmission rates may well be higher than previous strains. Even in the last seven days we have seen as many as 50,000 new cases of delta in a single day, despite the numbers who have had both jabs and increasing numbers who have had the booster as well.
    I think the govt. will do all in it's power to avoid another full lockdown as we simply can't afford it.
    All we can do is convince those who remain unvaccinated to think again, and to get our booster jabs as soon as one is offered (mines in 10 days time)
    As for Christmas it might not be what we would all hope it to be.

Stay safe
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I very much agree with you Mike 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The new variation is stronger than the delta and it has more mutations than the other variations if we locked down these new variations wouldn't spread so much the government have handled it all wrong 

There is no economy if there are no workers as already said by others what  we need is  a long hard lockdown close the borders and do everything we can face masks social distancing it will be better in the long run short lock downs don't work 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As far as I can see this new variant is currently a variant under investigation (VUI), & how transmissible it may be is as yet unknown, so it can't at present be said to be 'stronger' than the delta variant, which remains the most prevalent. More info in this link, particularly section 1.5: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1036501/Technical_Briefing_29_published_26_November_2021.pdf
  • Circe
    Circe Community member Posts: 68 Pioneering
    Options
    TheAlien said:
    I've never stopped wearing my mask, despite the negative comments I've had, usually reminding me in a very condescending voice that 'they're not needed now love.'  

A lot of people didn't follow the rules the first time around, I can't see that changing this time.

As for another lockdown, I think some restrictions will be put in place, but I don't think it will be a full lockdown again.  But for some people, lockdown is just normal life.
    I agree, I've never not wore mine, only take it off if I'm eating or drinking. 

I had to cancel my booster due to the snow, I'm hoping to re- book it .

I couldn't get a taxi or a bus  to get it done. Another thing that as disabled you notice is weather effecting my usual mode of transport. 
    Carpe Noctem
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    Hope you manage to rebook it @Circe, mine is next weekend and if we've still got snow and ice I'll have to rebook mine as the taxi can't park at the entrance and it'll be too dangerous to attempt even a short walk on crutches.
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Options
    If the scientists discover that the new variant can somehow get through the three jabs we have had, then they will, I'm sure make another vaccine to combat it. Then we will have to get a fourth jab. The trouble will be how soon and when. I suppose we will be getting a jab on a yearly basis from now on as well, just like the Flu jab. 

Brightness