WOKE — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

WOKE

JustPete
JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
I have just spent an hour discussing the meaning of WOKE.  Without dictionaries or google or any other reference assistance, tell me the meaning of WOKE........
I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Come out of sleep
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
       I woke up this morning.....  ;)
  • JustPete
    Apparently not.............keep going...........there is relevance to this community (I promise)
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • 66Mustang
    edited November 2021
    My serious answer without looking in a dictionary would be it is used to refer to someone who is very sensitive to things like rights for black people, gay people etc. Maybe also disabled people which is why you say it’s relevant to this community? Also I’d say it is often used as an insult
  • JustPete
    @66Mustang @Teddybear12 .........Yes............when did that happen?

This makes sleep related words 'wake' 'woke' etc just colloquial use of proper words 'awake' 'awoke' etc

• 66Mustang
    I probably first heard it used for that reason in maybe 2018?
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Well, words which are useful, at least currently, survive and others which are no longer useful decline in use and  are ultimately consigned to history, survival of the fittest lexically. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness