Is it OK for a mum to ask an adult child to pay rent money out of their PIP? Could the child get UC? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it OK for a mum to ask an adult child to pay rent money out of their PIP? Could the child get UC?

Options
Maybeimcrazy
Maybeimcrazy Community member Posts: 48 Connected
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Please i don't want no attacks with my question i have... So if someone has benefits, and there adult child is only getting pip, and that persons child's just come back home to live. and the mother makes the child/ 20 year old give the mum money out her pip is that ok? Or should the 20 year old. Be entitled to like UC? Something like that before going to collage the 20 year old was on UC. Its just a question. As to the mum having rent board money isn't that the local council they would have to pay. Please be kind im only asking ??

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Whether or not the 20 year old is entitled to UC depends on their financial circumstances (what income they have and what savings they have). If they are still a student they will not be able to claim UC unless they have already been assessed as having Limited Capability for Work.

Even if entitled to UC they will not be able to claim any help with rent.

I don’t understand your bit about rent board and local council.

Is mum claiming any benefits?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Maybeimcrazy
    Maybeimcrazy Community member Posts: 48 Connected
    Options
    Thanks guys for the replies yes mom was worried she mite of been braking the law asking daughter to pay help with rent 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is no law on what you can spend your benefits on, it's your money you can spend it on exactly what you want to.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.