Is it OK for a mum to ask an adult child to pay rent money out of their PIP? Could the child get UC? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Is it OK for a mum to ask an adult child to pay rent money out of their PIP? Could the child get UC?

Maybeimcrazy Member Posts: 48 Connected
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Please i don't want no attacks with my question i have... So if someone has benefits, and there adult child is only getting pip, and that persons child's just come back home to live. and the mother makes the child/ 20 year old give the mum money out her pip is that ok? Or should the 20 year old. Be entitled to like UC? Something like that before going to collage the 20 year old was on UC. Its just a question. As to the mum having rent board money isn't that the local council they would have to pay. Please be kind im only asking ??


  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,768 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Whether or not the 20 year old is entitled to UC depends on their financial circumstances (what income they have and what savings they have). If they are still a student they will not be able to claim UC unless they have already been assessed as having Limited Capability for Work.

    Even if entitled to UC they will not be able to claim any help with rent.

    I don’t understand your bit about rent board and local council.

    Is mum claiming any benefits?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 8,252 Disability Gamechanger
    So I think what you’re saying is that Mum is asking daughter to pay rent from her PIP and you’re asking whether Mum is allowed to do that when she herself gets Housing Benefit for the rent. 

    Short answer is that it’s fine. Not an issue at all. 

    If daughter didn’t have PIP then Mum may well have had a non-dependant deduction  from the HB. That would have been a deduction from the HB which assumed that daughter would contribute that amount towards the rent. No obligation to actually do so but the deduction from HB would have happened anyway so it would have been assumed daughter was contributing to the rent.  
  • Maybeimcrazy
    Maybeimcrazy Member Posts: 48 Connected
    Thanks guys for the replies yes mom was worried she mite of been braking the law asking daughter to pay help with rent 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,587 Disability Gamechanger
    There is no law on what you can spend your benefits on, it's your money you can spend it on exactly what you want to.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.