Do you use subtitles? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you use subtitles?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2021 in Coffee lounge
I binge-watched the series 'Squid Game' recently, and used subtitles so that I could understand the dialogue (it's Korean, for those that haven't watched it!). 

I often turn subtitles on when I'm watching TV in English, too, as I sometimes find it easier to follow what's going on that way.

There are lots of reasons why people might use subtitles or closed captions when watching TV. I enjoyed journalist and campaigner Liam O'Dell's video on what captions have done for us:

A poll by Stagetext (The Limping Chicken) has revealed that nearly 25% of the general public watch captioned content “all the time” at home. 

Despite this, not all services offer subtitles or closed captions as an option, and they're not always accurate if they do. 

For example, this YouTube video from Deafie Blogger outlines that only 1-2% of cinema screenings are accessible via subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKFczu56tNM 

Channel 4 have also come under fire recently for disruptions to their subtitling service, leaving many hearing impaired people feeling excluded and isolated. This problem has now been partially fixed, which you can read about on Channel 4's website.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on subtitles and closed captions. 
  • Do you often watch content with subtitles or closed captions on?
  • Do you think more effort should be made to ensure that a subtitling service is available for all types of content?
  • Have you ever felt excluded or isolated as a result of a subtitling service not being available, or not working properly?
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,765 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, sometimes because I want the sound low or off. Or if I watch a programe that's not in English. Can be a bit annoying tho when subs lag or go ahead of the programe 
  • marybottomley
    marybottomley Community member Posts: 887 Pioneering
    I find subtitles very helpful 
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I tend not to use them.  When I'm watching anything, its usually just in the background while I'm either knitting, sewing or doing cross stitch.  This means that to read the subtitles, I have to keep changing my glasses.

But I do agree that they should be available more.
  • rudolf
    rudolf Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    I like watching foreign language films and unfortunately I only know a handful of words of the languages. Mainly I enjoy French comedies but some Scandinavian films too. Having said that I don’t get to watch as many films as I’d like.

Subtitles can be handy when watching the BBC News channel late at night when I don’t want to make too much noise.
  • Paddyrooney62
    Paddyrooney62 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hello there everyone. I haven’t commented in a long while. But this is something I have done for a long time . Binge watching on Netflix many series’s and films from many countries. I used to watch a lot of samari movies so I have gotten really good at reading subtitles. In fact they don’t bother me at all. But my goodness there’s a lot of great stuff out there. I’m glad that there are others enjoying it as much . I’m mad into martial arts and would watch anything with swordplay. The Korean stuff on Netflix is absolutely amazing…P
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    I always have the subs on. I live on a busy road and sometimes can't hear the tv.i don't want to have the volume too high on the tv because I don't want to disturb my neighbors.
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • Styal
    Styal Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    I have subtitles on sometimes, usually for detective/police dramas but also for some other dramas as, like the article writer, I find it helps my understanding of what's going on.  In some programmes there are so many characters who may have 'done it' that I can't keep them all straight.  It also means that I don't keep pausing the show to ask my husband a question about it, which he finds very irritating!
  • Tori_Scope
    Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts so far :) I've enjoyed reading the responses.

I find it helpful in that way too @Styal. Even just seeing the names of the characters come up every so often is helpful in remembering who everyone is!

• TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I know what you mean @Styal I've watched several shows with actors who look alike and struggled to work out who was who.
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    Yes I often use subtitles even when watching something in spoken English as I often have issues with me ears even though I am not yet deaf in any medical sense and also during the night if I am unable to sleep so that I do not disturb my partner
  • devongranny
    devongranny Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited December 2021
    just joined as totally agree with the rubbish subtitles! I am finding it difficult to hear some things and so have subs on most of the time and find they are either right in middle of screen so can’t see what’s happening or they are not reliable in what is being said! Rant over!
  • Tori_Scope
    Welcome to the community @devongranny :) I moved your post into this thread, as it seemed to be what you were wanting to respond to- is that right?

I find it quite distracting when the subtitles don't match what's being said, so I know what you mean! It's worse when they don't make sense, though. 

You can sometimes change where the subtitles are, have you tried editing those settings?

• devongranny
    I’m a bit of technophobe how would I do that?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    One thing that infuriates me is when in multilingual programmes the subtitle says "speaks French" and pastes that over the original subtitle translating the French!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    What do you use to watch TV @devongranny? Is it live TV, on demand, Netflix etc.? Streaming platforms tend to have their own settings, but I imagine live TV will depend on your device/provider.

• Tori_Scope
    Yes @calcotti

• marybottomley
    marybottomley Community member Posts: 887 Pioneering
    I use freeview
  • devongranny
    all of all of above!
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    I would say yes to all of your questions @Tori_Scope :)

I find in more and more TV programmes and films these days, the music is often very loud, and the dialogue very quiet, and it seems to fluctuate while watching!

Subtitles really help me keep track of what's going on without having to fiddle with the volume all the time.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness