UC underpayment maladministration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC underpayment maladministration

Options
llama74
llama74 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited December 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Following a letter informing my sister she's owed money by DWP for LCWRA on 06/12, she's yet to receive it. Numerous messages and calls to UC from the 07/12 asking when she will get the money, didn't result in a response until the 13/12. Which stated the underpayment had been sent to debt management team on 06/12 and to call them if she wanted more information.
Which I did, they said that after deducting what she owed, they sent the remaining amount back to UC, the same day. I called UC who said they couldn't issue the payment until the debt management informed them that they had completed the deduction.
I rang debt management this morning again and they are investigating.
This is causing my sister a lot of distress. I explained that, owing to her psychiatric disorders, the issue of why they haven't been able to issue the payment is adding to her health problems. 
Any advice? I'm struggling to understand how this has happened.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Before they issue any money they owe you they always check first to see if you owe them any money, they will then deduct one from the other before issuing payment. It sounds like somebody has yet to press the right button on the system and once they do all will be sorted.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry this is causing so much stress. It's been 7 working days since the letter was received about the backdated money owed, which isn't long. Even when debt management aren't involved it often takes a few weeks to received backdated money.
    Once it's paid it takes 3-5 working days to go into your bank. Hopefully she won't be waiting too much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • llama74
    llama74 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thanks guys for your responses. 
    Today, a helpful agent, at debt management, actually took the time to speak to his line manager, who, as luck would have it, is personal friends with a UC case manager. He contacted his friend,who had my money paid into my account by 5pm.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's wonderful @llama74, what a relief that must be :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.