Refused pip.. please help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused pip.. please help

Diamond
Diamond Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited December 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello
I am an autistic adult with physical disabilities and have a child with asd etc. My hubby has asd and due for bipolar assessment.  He has been refused pip..please help. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,910 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.
    If the refusal was within the last 13 months then you can request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where and why you think he should have scored those points. If you didn't use real world examples when you filled out the form then you should do this for the MR. At least 2 for each descritptor that applies. Include information such as where he was, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
    Timescales for MR decision's is between 2-12 weeks.
    Expert advice will also help, for this start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Diamond
    I was on the phone at the assessment  told the woman how he self harm.  Sets fire to my kitchen. Has carers to do cooking and cleaning and prompting personal care and eating or he will not do it. How he needs to be told to have meds. How he can't work and been saked. How he can not mix. How a carer reads and explains letters how he has a poa  for financial stuff..this was not in the report or thar u was there promoting him.  It did not reflect the answers on the form and it has they presume this and that without listening. It is like they have mixed him up with someone.

I appreciate your reply but we put how it affects his life and help needed I.e assistance dog and carers.  
  • Diamond
    Have started m.c. already just annoyed as the assessment is about someone else. Like we was ignored. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Hello @Diamond - welcome to the community & for telling us a little about your family. You can write a Mandatory Reconsideration, which is when another decision maker will look at everything again. You may find the following link useful in looking at some of the things that may affect your husband. Please see: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/
    Altho it's about completing a PIP claim form, it may prove helpful in giving instances where a person may face difficulty looking at applicable activities/descriptors.

If he didn't do so with his claim form, then he should give a couple of recent, detailed examples as to the difficulty he faces for each applicable descriptor, i.e. when did it happen, where, what happened, did anyone see this, & were there any consequences to attempting/doing an activity?

Also say if he can't do an activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, repeat as often as one would reasonably expect, or if it takes you much longer than someone without a disability.

He can use the form Poppy mentions, adding extra pages at the end (with name & National Insurance number on each page), or just write a letter.

Do put the decision letter behind you, & concentrate on where he should have gained points.....'reliability' as mentioned above, which includes 'safely,' seems very important here.

Please come back with any questions.

• Diamond
    Even put examples about the oven fire . Burning himself with boiling hot water
    .running out of his meds.  He has none at the moment.  
    How he punches his self in the face and hurts himself. 
    All the evidence there from doctor too but as I said like a wrong person 
  • Diamond
    Thank you both for your help but I can't complete form as he can't so I phoned and they let me talk. The lady went through questions and I gave examples etc His consultant is writing another letter so can this be added to to mc? 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @Diamond. Yes any letters his consultant adds could be included with the MR.

How often do the carers come and support your husband? Do you have any support for yourself and your child? 

If you do send additional information for your MR be sure to include your husband's National Insurance number as it will make it easier for them to link it to his claim. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Diamond
    Hi Adrian many thanks
    I have carers and nurses come to me and our daughter has an ehcp and under lots of professionals.
    The carers help us 3 times a day also social inclusion and shopping.
    I will make sure I include this and evidence it. Also my husband meds were doubled on Christmas eve.so let them know? 
    Happy Christmas 🎄 
  • poppy123456
    Any worsening of condition since the assessment took place will not be taken into consideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Diamond said:
    Hi Adrian many thanks
    I have carers and nurses come to me and our daughter has an ehcp and under lots of professionals.
    The carers help us 3 times a day also social inclusion and shopping.

I'm glad to read you've got a lot of support @Diamond, I was worried when you said about your husband setting fire to your kitchen etc. 
    As Poppy and Mike have pointed out, the increase in meds isn't relevant to the MR so don't worry too much about that. 
    Best of luck with the MR and if we can be of any support for yourself or your family please let us know. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ChrisH90
    ChrisH90 Community member Posts: 124 Courageous
    Diamond said:
    Hello
    I am an autistic adult with physical disabilities and have a child with asd etc. My hubby has asd and due for bipolar assessment.  He has been refused pip..please help. 
    I have Autism too, And I was also refused scoring 0 points on my Decision letter, The assessor wasn’t telling the truth on her report, Which I explained in the Mandatory Reconsideration letter, Just waiting on a response from them to see what the MR is.
  • Wenners
    Wenners Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hi I am so sorry u have been refused PIP,my son has been refused it again too. He has scizophrenia and used to get disability money,when itchanged to PIP he was told he didn't qualify we had to go to Court,the Judge award d him it that L as 3yrs ago . They looked at it again and turned him down again recently. They make us fight for it
  • ChrisH90
    Wenners said:
    Hi I am so sorry u have been refused PIP,my son has been refused it again too. He has scizophrenia and used to get disability money,when itchanged to PIP he was told he didn't qualify we had to go to Court,the Judge award d him it that L as 3yrs ago . They looked at it again and turned him down again recently. They make us fight for it
    They certainly do, I had a telephone assessment, Which i didn’t really want, The lady even Lied about how long the call lasted, The Assessors are a joke. I’m not too hopeful on the MR.
  • poppy123456
    It's worth remembering that a Tribunal is definitely not a court. Some hearings maybe held in a court buidling but it's nothing like a court and you're not on trial.
    When they write the report, it's their opinion based on everything you sent and what you said during the assessment. They are not there to write what you said verbatim.

• ChrisH90
    It's worth remembering that a Tribunal is definitely not a court. Some hearings maybe held in a court buidling but it's nothing like a court and you're not on trial.
    When they write the report, it's their opinion based on everything you sent and what you said during the assessment. They are not there to write what you said verbatim.

Well I hope the ‘Professional’ isn’t in her job too long, I written a good Four A4 pages for my MR including difficulties I have and how I feel afterwards, It’s just frustrating how someone can make an opinion over the phone in 30 minutes.  
  • Wenners
    No they are not poorly completed,they turn down as many as they can and make unwell people suffer
  • Wenners
    Well it certainly felt Like we were in Court with the Judge,the DHSS representative there.
    The Judge award as very kind .
    The majority of the claims are upheld at Tribunal. How they can assess someone in a phone call?
  • Wenners
    Poppy u have probably never had to go thro this and have no idea
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Just to point out the DHSS does not exists anymore. 
  • ChrisH90
    Wenners said:
    Well it certainly felt Like we were in Court with the Judge,the DHSS representative there.
    The Judge award as very kind .
    The majority of the claims are upheld at Tribunal. How they can assess someone in a phone call?
    Yeah it was a quick 30 minute phone call, And they lady assessed me as being perfectly capable of carrying out tasks which I cannot do, I’m hoping to receive my MR result soon than later to get it out of the way, So stressful waiting.
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.