why should we lose playful touch if we dont have to — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

why should we lose playful touch if we dont have to

Options
pattern1991
pattern1991 Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
I am fully aware that not everyone likes touch and that others may relate it to awful experiences and so not enjoy it but if we enjoy playful consensual touch and play in friendships and romantic relationships why should it have to end in childhood i feel if it I had had  more of such touch i would be more body confident today and like my body as it is 

Comments

• steve39
    steve39 Community member Posts: 53 Connected
    Options
    I am fully aware that not everyone likes touch and that others may relate it to awful experiences and so not enjoy it but if we enjoy playful consensual touch and play in friendships and romantic relationships why should it have to end in childhood i feel if it I had had  more of such touch i would be more body confident today and like my body as it is 
    I know that everyone keeps on about the 3ft rule but i also know for a fact that loads of my friends including street people still enjoy coming up for a hug in the middle of town infull view of whoever else is passing bye if they have not seen me for awhile
    so if you enjoy go right ahead don't let other people's look's stop you because they might want to join in
  • steve39
    steve39 Community member Posts: 53 Connected
    Options
    I know that keeps on about the 3ft rule but i also know for a fact that loads of my friends including street people still enjoy coming up for a hug in the middle of town infull view of whoever else is passing bye if they have not seen me for awhile
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @pattern1991

Thank you for your comment - I just wanted to check in to see if you had viewed our other members thoughts on this topic in the thread. It's an interesting one and is very personal/individualistic in nature. I really enjoy hugs, but also realise that not everyone wants a hug at times. However, for me, that's a way of feeling connected to certain individuals - I will always try and judge the situation accordingly though :)

If you have any further questions about this, then please just let us know.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • amro
    amro Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    Hi dear it’s very hard this days to find the right person who can understand feelings and how hugs or touch is very important for the person who knows how this things make a lot of difference in relationship especially with romantic peoples and not a lot of people doing this days if they know the happiness of this trust me they will regrets every moment they lost .
  • Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    Options
    @amro,
    I guess it's kind of ironic -- I was never very physically affectionate at all before the pandemic. I would actively avoid it in most cases, which quickly became a joke at every family gathering, hahaha! These days, I find that it's something I crave, too. I would like to be able to express love in that way more often. I think there's a whole different dynamic for disabled people, too. Outside of my closest circle, people never really touched me at all, in any way, even if I might have liked them to. I think they perceive something about me as being fragile in that way. Still, I hope that 2022 will be the year that we're both able to move forward with this! We deserve it. In the meantime, I thought you might find this thread on touch deprivation to be helpful. Take care <3
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.

Brightness