Hi, my name is Wenners! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Wenners!

Wenners
Wenners Community member Posts: 17 Connected
I care for my son with scizoid affective disorder a form of scizophrenia

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wenners - & welcome to the community. Thank you for joining & saying about your son. How are you both doing? Please join in with any discussions of interest, or try our virtual 'Coffee lounge' to chat with others, or try the word games there. Wishing you a Happy New Year. :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wenners welcome to the community my partner has the same disorder he had had it for years he is 56 now he has been able to live a normal sort of life but has a short temper and doesn't always sees things the way we fo and takes everything personal he isn't comfortable around other people and starts snapping at people when he feels they are getting on his nerves 

We have been together for years but I couldn't live with him full time I can walk away when it gets to much but he has been there for me when needed and has a heart of gold 💛  you must struggle with your son and find it hard 

There are always people here you can talk to 

Take care 
  • Wenners
    Hi Lisa. My problem is he used to receive disability benefit and with an I'll ess like that it was for life,but when they changed it to PIP it was an excuse for them to tell lots of folk they didn't qualify! We had to go to Court and the judge granted it. It was reviewed recently after 3 yrs and he was turned down again
  • Wenners
    Yes they changed the criteria then they say it don't affect his life,well scizophrenia does!
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Wenners my partner had the same problem so he just gave up as it stressed him out to much sorry that your hoing through this 
  • Wenners
    I am sorry yr partner gave up. The Citizens Advice will get u an Advocate who will ask u questions and fill the form in for u,they will even go along to the Tribunal with u.
  • Lisatho11987777
    I am an independent voluntary advocate we went to tribunal I represented him he got pip for 12 months but on renewal he was refused he decided he didn't want to go through it all again 
  • Wenners
    Yes we felt like that,never again! I was in tears seein my I'll son who as a scizophrenia gets voices under such stress of bein tried in a courtroom and despite what Polly says it felt like being in Court! But u have to be tough and fight the system. My old Dad used to say. "Get all the facts...and if u know u are right...Go for it!"
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Wenners said:..despite what Polly says it felt like being in Court! 
    No-one said it didn't feel like a court, they just pointed out that it isn't a court.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Wenners
    Well our CIB advocate is an Angel,she worked in Mental Health Services before she went to the CIB,she trained as a Lawyer. If u live in Somerset I cld give u her name
  • Lisatho11987777
    From when I have represented people in tribunal it's very rare an advocate is allowed to speak for the person they are representing  unless the tribunal are directing a question at me or if the person I am representing is struggling or I have asked for permission to speak an advocate is there realy to help if needed and if the tribunal hoes the wrong way to help with an appeal 

I have a law degrees because its help full to me but law changes all the time so have to do top courses 

Advocates attend many different tribunals and court cases and are allowed certain privileges in different circumstances advocates dont have success rates as such 
  • Lisatho11987777
    I represent people in court and judges use advocates to cross examine as advocates aren't bound like solicitors are or a judge will ask me to speak to someone to talk them round or I am just there to support or I go in judges Chambers to advocate for the person  so I had to have law degrees which I have to do top ups once a year 

Most tribunals for social security are notified ahead but sometimes I am called to attend at last min when someone has asked before they go in 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    You represent people in PIP tribunals you say @lisathomas50 - so therefore not in in a court.

Brightness