UC reasesmemt for LCWRA — Scope | Disability forum

UC reasesmemt for LCWRA

JessW Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, I'm new here, and looking for some help with this question. Thank you in advance.

In 2017 I had a universal credit capability for work assessment, I was placed in the LCW group, I tried to appeal it and ask for a reconsideration, but every time I phoned I got a different answer and in the end got told to stop calling and br patient, I never heard anything after that so just remained in the LCW group.

I have severe mental health illnesses and have recently developed some physical conditions, yesterday finally after 5 years I had a reassessment for my capability for work, it went really well the lady assessing me was lovely and made it clear to me that she was going to strongly suggest I be placed in the LCWRA group.

I'm wondering how long I will need to wait before I start receiving the extra payments? If I am placed in the LCWRA group. I've read its 3 months from sick notes? But I was never giving them sick notes, they said they weren't needed, they know how ill I am so I was never made to give proof or have sick notes. Will it still be 3 months?

Thank you 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,500 Disability Gamechanger
    The person who did the assessment should not have said anything to you because it’s not their job to do that. They are not decision makers. 

    They are there to assess you and gather more evidence to support your claim. They then write the report based on their opinion of everything you sent and what you said during the assessment. The report is then sent back to DWP and a decision maker will look at that as well as all the other evidence you sent. From there they then make a decision. 

    Once a decisions been made the letter will be uploaded onto your journal. 

    If it was DWP that started the review and you’re found to have LCWRA then the extra money is paid from the assessment period in which the decision was made. There is no waiting period for you. 

    Hopefully you’re not waiting too long for a decision.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.