Problems In One Area-Mathematics — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Problems In One Area-Mathematics

Options
oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 216 Pioneering
Hi Folks

I don't mind doing mathematics on paper, I will and quite able to do addition, division, and multiplication workings this way.
But I will check my answer by using a calculator. I add, just to check.
But when it comes to Subtraction I literally turn into a nervous wreck, hot sweaty, and I start to feel sick. 
When I was a child I received a massive brain injury. This has left me with some side effects, mainly memory and spastic right leg.
I struggle like he'll when it comes to subtraction. 
I did an adult mathematic course several years ago. I quit two thirds of the way through and jacked it in. 
The reason memory... 
Are there any folks reading this have similar phobias when it comes to doing + - x ÷
Also I know there are hundreds of apps for this but, can any folks recommend any "free" apps for mathematics. 
Thank you folks

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think I used to have a bit of a fear of maths when I was at school @oldngrumpy, as it was never one of my stronger subjects. I probably still do now, but the need to do quick maths without assistance is less of a presence in my life these days!

I don't have a personal recommendation on an app, but the National Numeracy Challenge may be a good place to start.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I used to hate maths but I learned to like it more as I got older. I also learned to subtract faster when playing darts. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,893 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not a fan of maths I use a calculator 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I must admit i'm reasonably good at basic maths but we have calculators all around around us today, on our phones and laptops, so I wouldn't worry too much about subtraction being a problem.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,597 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that always picks up the calculator. I was always quite good at maths but always check my answers on a calculator, even for simple equations, just in case I got them wrong!!! I always try to stuff in my head first just for a bit of brain exercise but will then check it.

I'd recommend trying to work things out for yourself first, then using the calculator. After a few weeks of doing that I found the arithmetic got easier, just like physical exercise I guess. Although, I don't know how your injury would affect this.

Brightness