Hi, advice appreciated regarding borrowing from family while on ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, advice appreciated regarding borrowing from family while on ESA

dedee85
dedee85 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi helpful people. Thank you for your time and all the help and advice you've given people over the years.

I've just started permitted work as a self employed trader but my funds are very low. Would a family member loaning me money to help get started be permitted while receiving Income Based ESA? The sum will possibly be £2000. Would this be seen as income and cause a breach of the weekly earning limit?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    It will not be classed as income. It will be classed as capital and if it increases your total savings to more than £6,000 then your means tested benefits will reduce by £1 for every £250 over that amount. Anything over £16,000 and entitlement to means tested benefits end.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dedee85
    dedee85 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Poppy

Should I contact the Job Centre and explain why a large sum has entered my account?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    No, there’s no need to do this if it doesn’t take your total savings over the allowed amount, as advised.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.