Diagnosis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Diagnosis

Eyates02
Eyates02 Community member Posts: 110 Courageous
edited January 2022 in Autism and neurodiversity
Got my first autism assesment dates, 24th will be the first two sessions, then on the 28th I will have my final one, any tips for this, I mostly know to be myself and open up about my life and be honest.
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    That's really positive to hear @Eyates02 I think that's a good way to approach it :) How are you feeling about it? 

I don't have experience of an autism assessment myself, but with assessments I've had around my own disability growing up, I often felt that the assessor was there to support and listen to me, and help me to express my own opinions and thoughts about the levels of independence I wanted to reach. 

To help our members share their experiences I've made this post unanswered, so hopefully there will be more comments soon. 

If there's anything you need help with, do let us know, and I wish you all the best for it later this month.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hello @Eyates02 :) 

Thank you for your post and for reaching out to the community. 

I think it's great that you're willing to be so open and honest about your experiences and that will only help you in the long run when getting a diagnosis. I also don't have experience with an autism diagnosis, but have been in similar situations for other health conditions. I think the best thing is to be honest and to make sure that no one invalidates your experiences. You're the only one who knows what you're going through, so just make sure you highlight that :) 

The below link might be useful as well, as it outlines what to expect from the assessment:
    If you have any further questions or concerns, please just let us know.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Eyates02
    Thank you! Yes it seems being my self kn the best thing, I feel like when I do talk to people face to face I'm a different person im more shy so it should show up more, it's just about me making sure I keel calm and remember to just be me ☺
  • Libby_Alumni
    Yes, staying calm is important @Eyates02, but sometimes that can be quite challenging when we are nervous/a little anxious. I sometimes struggle with it, but I do have some tools that help me to calm down like meditation and breathing exercises. Do you do anything in particular to help calm yourself down? :)
    Scope

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Eyates02
    Yes, staying calm is important @Eyates02, but sometimes that can be quite challenging when we are nervous/a little anxious. I sometimes struggle with it, but I do have some tools that help me to calm down like meditation and breathing exercises. Do you do anything in particular to help calm yourself down? :)
    When I'm nervous or anxious I end up stimming, I just need to remember that it helps for me to stim instead of feeling like I shouldn't do it, it's self soothing, I've been told to focus on my breathing as well before which I need to remember as well because if I panic I'll forget things or stutter. 
  • Libby_Alumni
    That's great that you have those tools in your toolbox @Eyates02 :) you've got to do what feels most comfortable for you and it sounds like stimming is something that helps a lot. 
    Scope

• Eyates02
    That's great that you have those tools in your toolbox @Eyates02 :) you've got to do what feels most comfortable for you and it sounds like stimming is something that helps a lot. 
    It really does! Got soo many appointments this month it'll be nice when its all over and hopefully I get good news from it all, next week I've got my chat with Citizens Advice who'll be helping me get pip, so hopefully that goes well also 😊 
  • Libby_Alumni
    It sounds like you're doing all the right things @Eyates02 and being super productive, so well done :) Although the appointments might seem initially daunting, it will be great to have more information and reassurance from professionals. I hope it goes well for you :) please keep us updated and if you need any other advice, just let us know.
    Scope

• Eyates02
    It sounds like you're doing all the right things @Eyates02 and being super productive, so well done :) Although the appointments might seem initially daunting, it will be great to have more information and reassurance from professionals. I hope it goes well for you :) please keep us updated and if you need any other advice, just let us know.
    I will for sure, it really helps to be part of communities which allow me to talk to others as well as open up about worrisome things, so thank you! 
  • Libby_Alumni
    You're more than welcome :) anytime @Eyates02, that's what we are here for!
    Scope

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Eyates02

I just want to wish you all the best of luck with the autism assessments. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with autism as a child rather than as an adult so I'm not sure what I would recommend other than the wonderful advice already provided. It sounds like you will smash it if you are just yourself as much as possible. You are more than welcome to talk to any of us if you just need a listening ear or have any other questions about this or anything else  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Eyates02
    Hi @Eyates02

I just want to wish you all the best of luck with the autism assessments. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with autism as a child rather than as an adult so I'm not sure what I would recommend other than the wonderful advice already provided. It sounds like you will smash it if you are just yourself as much as possible. You are more than welcome to talk to any of us if you just need a listening ear or have any other questions about this or anything else  :)
    Thank you, I'll be sure to let people know how my experience goes, not long now 12 days until my first appointment, i do wish I went through it as a child but I'm still young at 19 so I still have a lot of my future to plan and this will really help 😊 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Eyates02

I hope it helps too! I am really glad to hear there's not too much time left until your assessments now. I hope you get the answers you are looking for  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Eyates02
    Hi @Eyates02

I hope it helps too! I am really glad to hear there's not too much time left until your assessments now. I hope you get the answers you are looking for  :)
    Thank you! I'm so glad to know people such as yourself, really help give positivity! 
  • L_Volunteer
    Aww, thanks so much @Eyates02. That means a lot. Please know we are always here for you and we genuinely care about you  :)

• Eyates02
    Aww, thanks so much @Eyates02. That means a lot. Please know we are always here for you and we genuinely care about you  :)
    Thank you ☺
  • L_Volunteer
    You are always welcome @Eyates02 :)

• Rhodie72
    Rhodie72 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Just be your usual self. That's how they diagnose the severity of your strain of ASD. 

WORKED FOR ME! 
    Dream big, plan well, achieve goals, live the dream.

• L_Volunteer
    Hi @Rhodie72

Thanks for sharing your experiences and continuing to support our community members. All your efforts have been recognised and are appreciated. How are you today?  :)

• Libby_Alumni
    Thanks for your advice @Rhodie72 and I'm glad it worked for you :) 

How wonderful, a four leaf clover! Where did you find it?
    Scope

Brightness