Hi there….any universal credit boffins out there!?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi there….any universal credit boffins out there!??

Options
CarrieB75
CarrieB75 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
edited January 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
We as a family receive UC, I receive the LCWRA element/our child receives the disability element, my husband works in an office and was expecting/hoping to be able to work from home in the light of the current surge in covid cases/positive cases in his work place (to protect myself and our child whom are both immune compromised) however, he has recently been informed that he has to remain in the office for at least the next 3 months, so this has put us in a really difficult position. My husband is now searching for a similar job that does allow remote working, so our question is, much would we be penalised re Universal credit if my other half didn’t manage to find a new position before leaving his current one? Sorry if it’s a difficult question…….thanks so much advance. Kind regards Carrie 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,994 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi,
    I note you receive the disability element for your child. If your child receives DLA mid/high rate care then your partner can claim the carers element for their self, therefore there would be no sanctions if they quit their job because there would be no work related requirements when being a carer. 
    If they don’t already claim it then they should report the changes onto their journal and your UC will increase by £163 per month. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If they don’t claim it then they should report the changes onto their journal and your UC will increase by £163 per month. 
    To be clear, did you mean “If they don’t already claim it..”
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @calcotti yes that was a typo, thanks for that. To save confusion I will edit my comment. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • CarrieB75
    Options
    Thanks so much for the fast reply Poppy! Much appreciated. Wow, sounds like really know your stuff! Our child receives both lower rates DLA (unfortunately in this case)….so think that may leave us high and dry! 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    This means that your partner will not be able to claim the carers element. Whether there would be a sanction if your partner quit their job i don't know but with yourself and child being EV then this maybe good reason but it's likely down to a decision maker to make that decision.
  • CarrieB75
    Options
    Thanks again Poppy….yes, I thought as much and I dare say that the decision makers may  very well not deem it as a ‘good reason’ (even though in my humble opinion….it bloomin is!) 😊
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Just another thought, do you receive either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care for yourself? If you do then your partner will still be able to claim carers element for caring for you.
  • CarrieB75
    Options
    Yes Poppy…I receive PIP, daily living and mobility, but unfortunately they are the lower amount also (thank you again) 😊
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2022
    Options
    For PIP, it's only standard or Enhanced. Either part of daily living PIP will allow your partner to claim the carers element of UC which as advised will increase your UC by £163.73 per month. Claiming this will mean your partner will not be sanctioned for giving up their job, i'd advise your partner to report the changes onto their journal and to make sure they do this before doing anything else.

If you and/or your partner care for a severely disabled adult or severely disabled child for 35 hours a week or more, and you are eligible for Universal Credit, you may qualify for extra money called the Carer element. The severely disabled person doesn't have to be living with you but must be getting one of the following:

• Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • Disability Living Allowance (at either middle or higher rate care component)
    • Personal Independence Payment (at either standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component)

• calcotti
    Options
    Just another thought, do you receive either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care for yourself? If you do then your partner will still be able to claim carers element for caring for you.
    That was a good spot. (So difficult to give correct advice without complete information.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • CarrieB75
    Options
    Apologies Poppy, only just seen this! This could be very very good news for us, thank you so much, can’t tell you how relived I am and how much pressure that would take off my husband to find a new job before leaving this one (normally, timing wouldn’t matter) but like I mentioned previously, it’s just a matter of time before he’s bringing covid home with him. You’ve been a fantastic help….can’t thank you enough! 🙏🏼 😊🙏🏼
  • CarrieB75
    Options
    Oh, just one more questions (sorry)…..I’ve just seen that my husband earns over the amount that is allowed to claim Carers allowance on UC, so are we ‘allowed’ to apply for Carers Allowance now whilst he’s still in that job? (he’s decided to hand his notice in today or tomorrow as another two positive cases have just been confirmed in the office) Thank you in advance once again 😊
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Carers Allowance is totally different to Carers element of UC. For Carers allowance there's an earnings limit of £128 per week after deductions. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility which was one of the reasons i didn't advise it to be claimed.
    For Carers element there's no earnings limit and you don't need to claim carers allowance to claim it. As advised, your partner needs to report a change on their journal that they care for you for at least 35 hours per week and then the Carers element will be added to your claim which is £163.73 per month.

• calcotti
    Options
    He could have been claiming the carer element of UC ever since you were awarded daily living PIP.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    He could have been claiming the carer element of UC ever since you were awarded daily living PIP.
    Indeed. Yet another claimant not receiving all the benefits they are entitled to.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @CarrieB75 :) 

I hope both @calcotti and @poppy123456's responses have been able to clear some things up for you? I'm glad our members were helpful for you and we will always try our best to respond to your queries :) 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • CarrieB75
    Options
    Well wow, thank you so much and I’m genuinely astonished that we have been entitled to the Carers element of UC all along!! 
    Interestingly, my husband has always ticked the ‘yes’ option on the online UC forms that ask if he cares for anyone (whenever UC prompts us to keep our details up to date) 
    We will apply for it now then. Thanks so much again Poppy and Calcotti! 🙏🏼😊🙏🏼
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I'm so happy that you've found out this information @CarrieB75 :) please keep us updated and if there's anything else that we can do in the meantime, then just let us know.
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • CarrieB75
    Options
    Honesty Libby, this information has been invaluable to our family. Thanks so much! 
  • calcotti
    edited January 2022
    Options
    CarrieB75 said: Interestingly, my husband has always ticked the ‘yes’ option on the online UC forms that ask if he cares for anyone (whenever UC prompts us to keep our details up to date) 
    If you have been getting PIP throughout then he could go back and say "I first told you that I cared for my wife on xxx. She gets the Daily Living component of PIP and I believe that I am therefore entitled to the carer element from the date I first told you I cared for her."

If the PIP was awarded later then it would be  "I first told you that I cared for my wife on xxx. She was awarded the Daily Living component of PIP from and I believe that I am therefore entitled to the carer element from that date."

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.