I am 30 and never had a job, I really would like part time but scared it might affect my ESA/PIP ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am 30 and never had a job, I really would like part time but scared it might affect my ESA/PIP ?

Bpositive91
Bpositive91 Community member Posts: 57 Connected
edited January 2022 in Work and employment
Hi everyone.

I am 30 years old and never had a job.  I am diagnosed with Dyspraxia and also I have severe anxiety most of the time.
  I have not been to a doctor to to be diagnosed with the anxiety and I do not talk about it to anyone. 

I receive ESA and PIP , I get extra ESA also due to being on PIP.

I am very grateful for the allowances I receive ( ESA & PIP)  and the amount I get covers my expenses , my needs are met graciously.

However I have a huge sadness , that I have never had a job and feel that I am so far behind in life.
I often lay awake late at night thinking about my life and although it seems to me it would be a huge mental struggle to get even a part time job but  I could try and still turn my life around perhaps. 
When I was 20 I worried about reaching 30 and still at this predicament and now I am 30 I worry about being 40 and it being the same.

I would really  love to give it a try and see how I do and also give  something back to society but worry if I get a part time job it might affect my ESA/PIP ?  

I live with my mum who is also not working at the moment due to her own health complaints ,  she get's very worried when I mention a part time job because we finally have things sorted out and she is worried my ESA/PIP may be interfered with if I get a part time job and if so how we will cope if that happens and also I am also unable to continue with the part time job because of my anxiety  .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks everyone 

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger
    You can do permitted work while claiming ESA but you must make sure you would less than 16 hours/week and earn no more than £143/week. (after deductions) You must tell DWP that you're working and you'll need to fill out a PW1 form. See link. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet
    When claiming both ESA and PIP, if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming these you could be re-assessed early and the decision could go against you once it's made.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    The other thing you can look at is doing some voluntary activity. You would still need to inform ESA and it would need to be less than 16 hours/week but it could be a way of 'being useful' while gaining some experience and might be more flexible than a paid job.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    I have done voluntary jobs. 
    Both were a good life experience.
    Getting into paid work, I would love but with my struggles in my physical/mental problems, I am better off on benefits.

** I hasten to add, I am not better off, far from, on State Benefits **
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bpositive91

Thanks for posting in detail about this and how you feel, at one point in the past I felt similar to how you describe and found that volunteering was a brilliant avenue to help with that. Have you considered doing any volunteer work? It would allow you to gain some experience and help to determine what sort of job you would enjoy doing, without the pressure that paid employment can bring.

Furthermore, Scope has a number of employment services, which you can read about here, that may be helpful for you in preparing for paid employment.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Bpositive91
    Hi everyone.  Thank you all for each of your messages, I have read all of them and taken the  advice on board.

Regarding voluntary work , I am anxious and  worried to even do that as I'd have to inform the DWP  and concerned it may interfere with my Allowances of ESA/PIP . 
    Does voluntary work present the same risk to my ESA /PIP as paid work could ?

Also I have considered going back to college or University but again, do I need to inform the DWP about this ? 

Many thanks to all in advance 

• Bpositive91
    edited January 2022
    Thanks for that info Mike.  I understand as Poppy says if someone begins a part time job and it contradicts what they claim ESA for then it would likely affect benefits.

If someone for example claims ESA for severe anxiety and say they can't leave the house alone and then they go ahead and get a part time job in a supermarket I assume that is an example how someone might lose or see a reduction on their benefit ?   I am not referring to me  but using it as an example scenario .

Lastly regarding your last statement of the working within 16 hours and nothing to worry about it interfering with benefits, I worry the DWP may see it as if I can work a few hours then I can work unlimited and could  interfere with my ESA/PIP ?

I do get nervous in unfamiliar places and can become vulnerable in those circumstances and I do need motivation some days to get out of bed and do things and also to be encouraged to eat because most days I will literally go an entire day without eating or eating the first thing of the day at near midnight.

these are some of the reason why I  on my ESA/PIP .  Do you think a part time job would affect anything and not sure if I got a part time job for example at a supermarket might they look to reevaluate my ESA ?

Also When I clicked the link that Poppy provided to read about permitted work, from what I gather one has to be aided by a support worker in the work place, have I got this correct or not ?

Thanks and I look forward to your response
  • calcotti
    edited January 2022
    Bpositive91 said:..working within 16 hours and nothing to worry about it interfering with benefits, I worry the DWP may see it as if I can work a few hours then I can work unlimited and could  interfere with my ESA/PIP ?
    No. If that were true there would be no point in the permitted work rules.
    Also When I clicked the link that Poppy provided to read about permitted work, from what I gather one has to be aided by a support worker in the work place, have I got this correct or not ?
    No. That refers to supported permitted work. You will not be doing supported permitted work, you will be doing general permitted work which is why you are restricted to less than 16 hours.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Bpositive91
    calcotti said:
    Bpositive91 said:..working within 16 hours and nothing to worry about it interfering with benefits, I worry the DWP may see it as if I can work a few hours then I can work unlimited and could  interfere with my ESA/PIP ?
    No. If that were true there would be no point in the permitted work rules.
    No. That refers to supported permitted work. You will not be doing supported permitted work, you will be doing general permitted work which is why you are restricted to less than 16 hours.

Hi Calcotti.
    thank you for your replies and I apologize for the delay in my response. 

I will definitely look into part time work once I feel mentally and physically improved enough. Also thanks for clarifying on my confusion about if one was required to be supported by a supervisor while at the work place. 

I have another question. 

I just wondered  something while looking at a letter about my ESA , my mum is my appointee so the letter is addressed to my mum but says for me which it is  and the top of the letter has my own national insurance number on it as it should. ( say's '' your reference number'' and then my NI number next to it  ) 
    on the letter is says we will credit you with national insurance contributions while claiming ESA . My question is will the national insurance contributions from my ESA  still go to me  even though my ESA is being paid into my Mum's bank account ? 
    I assume the national insurance contributions still go to my account as it has my national insurance number on it and it is still my ESA claim despite it being paid to my mum's account ?

Many thanks 

I get my Pip paid into my own  bank account  but my ESA gets paid into my mum's bank as it has for years because I found it easier her managing my expenses .

• calcotti
    edited January 2022
    The NI credits will be for you not your mum. It is your claim but, as your appointee, your mum acts in your place in respect of administering the claim and she is responsible for keeping DWP informed about any changes.
  • Bpositive91
    calcotti said:
    The NI credits will be for you not your mum. It is your claim but, as your appointee, your mum acts in your place in respect of administering the claim and she is responsible for keeping DWP informed about any changes.

Thank you for that information.

It was not just the fact she is my appointee but also that she get's my ESA paid into her bank account so I was suddenly worried the NI credits may not go on my account.

So although I do not get my ESA paid into my own account ( rather it get's paid into my mum's account  )  I will still receive the NI credits from it ?

thanks again 
  • calcotti
    Bpositive91 said: So although I do not get my ESA paid into my own account ( rather it get's paid into my mum's account  )  I will still receive the NI credits from it ?
    As already advised, yes.
  • Bpositive91
    calcotti said:
    Bpositive91 said: So although I do not get my ESA paid into my own account ( rather it get's paid into my mum's account  )  I will still receive the NI credits from it ?
    As already advised, yes.
    Thank you sincerely , I appreciate all your help and also that of everyone else 
  • Bpositive91
    One more thing guys.  If I wanted to go to college could this affect my ESA/PIP ?
    Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger
    Full time students can continue to claim ESA and PIP. If there's a student maintenance loan available to you, this will affect any Income Related benefits you receive, even if you decide not to take to that loan.
    PIP won't be affected by any student loan.
    You must tell DWP/ESA that you'll be studying. If being a student contradicts the reasons why you're claiming both benefits then this may go against you when you're next reassessed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bpositive91
    Thanks very much for that advice Poppy, all your advice has been read and noted .
    I apologise for not responding sooner .

I am still considering part time work, but does anyone know if my ESA will be reduced because I claim income related ESA , not contribution ESA ?

Thanks 
  • calcotti
    edited January 2022
    Bpositive91 said: I am still considering part time work, but does anyone know if my ESA will be reduced because I claim income related ESA , not contribution ESA ? 
    If the work you do falls within the Permitted Work limits then the income from it is ignored. 
    As it says in the link poppy previously provided
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet
    Permitted work lets you:
    • work for less than 16 hours each week
    • earn up to £143 every week after tax
    • receive your normal amount of benefit
    I find you go outside the limits you lose ESA completely.
  • Bpositive91
    calcotti said:
    Bpositive91 said: I am still considering part time work, but does anyone know if my ESA will be reduced because I claim income related ESA , not contribution ESA ? 
    If the work you do falls within the Permitted Work limits then the income from it is ignored. 
    As it says in the link poppy previously provided
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet
    Permitted work lets you:
    • work for less than 16 hours each week
    • earn up to £143 every week after tax
    • receive your normal amount of benefit
    I find you go outside the limits you lose ESA completely.
    Thanks for that Information, so basically if I work less than 15 hours and earn no more than £143 my housing benefit won't be affected .

One other question, I live with my mum she is on universal credit for her own health issues. If I start part time would could this interface with her universal credit amount or will it not affect that as her claim is separate ?

Thanks very much in advance
  • calcotti
    edited January 2022
    Thanks for that Information, so basically if I work less than 15 hours and earn no more than £143 my housing benefit won't be affected .

One other question, I live with my mum she is on universal credit for her own health issues. If I start part time would could this interface with her universal credit amount or will it not affect that as her claim is separate ?
    No one has said anything about housing benefit because you haven’t mentioned it previously. Are you getting Housing Benefit? If you are, it will not be affected if you are getting income based ESA because income based ESA automatically entitles you to your maximum Housing Benefit.

Your mum’s UC is not affected by you working.

Brightness