Dental treatment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dental treatment

redOwl
redOwl Community member Posts: 24 Listener
Not sure where to post this after some advice .Having extreme anxiety with just going to dentist getting my teeth checked  old dentist would refer me to hopsital when explained having extraction when conscious to much for me .Last year got new dentist had to see because needed extraction that moment because covid not doing them he only do extraction the usual way.

Teeth so badly damaged only way is extraction but cant when im awake to much for me  

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    My daughter literally cannot face sitting in the dentist chair, last time she needed treatment they refered her to another dentist who specilises in such cases and she was fine
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Could you ask the new dentist to refer you to another dentist or community dental team at the hospital for sedation or GA?
  • redOwl
    been while since seen dentist not sure if still registered with them just wondering if other methods if cant's in hospital
  • MarkM88
    edited January 2022
    I think the only options open to you are the dentist practices, sedation clinics and the community dental team at the hospital. 

Unless of course you can afford to go private, you would need to access NHS services. 

This NHS link will help with fear of the dentist - https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/fear-of-the-dentist-help/

This site here is also good for support       - https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/
  • redOwl
    thinking private may be only option but think cost to much  think register with dentist and see about sedation clinic
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @redOwl

I hope @MarkM88's resources were useful? I think it's good to explore/enquire about all options, then you can make a clear decision, knowing the logistics for each option. Please keep us updated and if there's anything else that we can help with, then just let us know.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • redOwl
    Going look  into seduction clinics once registered with dentist here didnt know about them big help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Sedation not seduction...   :#

Do you have a local community dental clinic?  Usually they only take referrals from dentists but I managed to bypass that and refer myself back in 2019.  They were the only place offering sedation in my area.  Sadly they couldn't make enough adjustments to be suitable for me though, I'm still stuck with the tooth problems now and since the pandemic my closest clinic has closed so I can't see any way forward myself.  I do hope you have more luck getting treatment!  :)
  • redOwl
    edited January 2022
    Dont know what available staying at gf at moment dont think she uses dentist been four days gotten have think  abscesses  like big bubble with one black and other white over my two incisor teeth both need pulling .Dont know be best going emergency dentist or hospital if anything they do with abscesses  at hospital maybe get some antibiotics  gf talking about just bursting them with tissue not sure what would be best .

Mixing up my words words again with sedation and seduction

• MarkM88
    If you need a dentist and can’t access one, contact 111. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Hi @redOwl :) I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with your teeth. I'm glad that MarkM88's advice was helpful!

As MarkM88 has said, it would be a good idea to ring 111 if you feel as though you need some emergency treatment. You can read about that here on the NHS website:

If you need dental treatment in an emergency
    • call a dentist: some surgeries offer appointments at short notice
    • if you do not have a dentist, find one using NHS 111
    When to go to hospital

Only go to A&E in serious circumstances, such as:
    • severe pain
    • heavy bleeding
    • injuries to the face, mouth, or teeth
    If you're not sure whether you should go to A&E, contact NHS 111, who will be able to advise you. Find out when to dial 999.
    I'm not a dentist, but I don't imagine that bursting them at home would be very safe. This also wouldn't deal with the underlying problem. It's important that you get some treatment as soon as you're able, as dental abscesses can cause other issues. You can read more about dental abscess here on the NHS website.

Do you have any painkillers you can take in the meantime if needed?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • redOwl
    thanks everyone for the help the abscesses healed up on own all pain gone away  im going find dentist register with and get extractions i need. with one these sedation clinics if get referred to one.
  • MarkM88
    You still should for sure get registered somewhere because even though they have healed you need the underlying issues addressed or they might return. 

Brightness