Hi, my name is smooter65! I'm hoping I can get some info — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is smooter65! I'm hoping I can get some info

smooter65
smooter65 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi, Everybody am hoping I can get some info x 

Comments

• smooter65
    My son of 13 is being assessed for Autism and ADHD, the problem we have is, his meltdowns and his aggressive out burst , we have next door banging on the walls and knocking on the front door, we are not talking at all which causes problems, we have four children
    Ageing  from 13 ,8,6,5
    two boys two girls, my 13 has is own room because he snaps at his younger brother and hurts him, 
    so we are looking for another hose to rent but the price for renting a 4 bedroom house are £1500 per month , I was hoping someone could give some advice 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger

Hi @smooter65, welcome to the community :) 

Thanks for telling us a bit about what you are going through, I'm sorry to hear of the challenges you have at the moment. 

How is the assessment progressing for your son? Do you have any indication of when he might receive a diagnosis? IN the meantime, is he receiving any kind of support from a doctor to manage his symptoms?

It's obviously concerning to read about his outbursts and the impact they are having on your other children and you as parents. Have you ever had any kind of involvement with your local social services to see if they can provide any kind of ongoing support for your family? Having an assessment through them could result in one of the recommendations being more suitable accommodation.

Regarding your neighbours, you mentioned that you aren't talking, but are they aware of the reasons why your son has his outbursts? If they aren't, it could be worth writing a note to them and slipping it through the letterbox, if talking isn't an option.

Are you receiving all the financial support you are entitled to at the moment? Moving house can be an expensive business these days as suggested by the cost of rent you mentioned there, so It's always worth ensuring you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to. You could fill out a benefits calculator to try and estimate entitlement.

This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m sure you’ll find it to be a positive outlet, feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 A few notable pages I’d recommend visiting would be:

• The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

Scope also have some family services that you might find it helpful to read about here.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Have you considered social housing there won't be many 4 bedroom properties available so it could be a long wait 

If there is a medical need for rehousing you could refer for a care needs assessment on gov website where an ot will assess your needs and make recommendations this can sometimes give a higher priority banding for housing 
  • smooter65
  • smooter65
    Thanks Ross, 
    lovely info,
    my neighbour has passed all her exams in metal health ????
    the doctor won’t give any medication on till his assessed this June ,we spoke to school this week about getting social services involved, 
  • smooter65
    edited May 2022
    Thanks @janer1967
    Not had many dealings with social housing  am not sure if I would qualify for any help on till he is assessed 
  • janer1967
    You can apply for social housing without having any medical needs 

Have a look at your local council website 

Having medical needs just gives you higher priority 
  • smooter65
    Hi Janer,we get some of universal credit but we both work now, but if one of us come out of work
    and the rents £1250 per month we will be in deep water 
  • janer1967
    If that happens you may be able to get help towards rent through uc 

For private rent.they only pay the local housing allowance rate and you pay the difference but for social housing they pay the full rent 
  • janer1967
    Have you looked into if you can get help with housing cost currently with your uc 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Afternoon @smooter65 welcome to our great group, hopefully you will get some good advise on your Son's problem, i do feel for all of you, including your son. It's a very frustrating, hard, tiring condition to have.
    While you are waiting for his assessment have you looked on line for reading mater to help. I know there are a lot of books explaining some parts of the condition or the use of distraction methods to avoid or help with melt downs. You might even get advise on nett sites such as mumsnett. There is all sorts of information out there.

I know this wont help with the housing situation hopefully you will stand a better chance when your son has been assessed. 
  • smooter65
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    You are welcome @smooter65. It is the very least you deserve. Do you feel you have got the info you were looking for? If you need any further info or clarification, please don't hesitate to let us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • smooter65
    yes i feel theres alot of support on this site 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning @smooter65 you can get all sorts of this great forum, advice, friendship and distraction for your own mind.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great to hear @smooter65 and @SueHeath. Thank you both for sharing your experiences and being super welcoming. Much appreciated! If either of you needs anything, you know where we all are  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness