Losing a loved one — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Losing a loved one

debbie1967
debbie1967 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
I lost a brother 4 years ago he was just 59
then I lost a sister 10 months ago she was just 55
im finding it so hard losing them and I was so close to my sister I just don’t know how to accept she’s gone 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @debbie1967 sorry for your losses, have you thought of grievance counselling? It might help. 
    I know its hard to loose someone, I try focus on the good memories.
  • debbie1967
    debbie1967 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Yes I’ve thought about it but not sure what one is good 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community Sorry to hear of your grief you can talk to your gp.and discuss possible referrals 

I don't know any counselling to recommend but other members will be able to help I'm sure 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,645 Disability Gamechanger
    I have been lucky to so far not lose anyone so important to me,  you are very strong coping with two losses so close together <3
    Definitely look for counsellors maybe your GP could help??
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @debbie1967 :) Thank you for sharing that with us, as I can imagine talking about it might bring up some difficult feelings.

It's good to hear that you've considered accessing some counselling to help you work through your grief. It'd be worth speaking to your GP about what's happened, and how it's affected you. You could also contact Cruse, who offer a range of services. 

We're here to support you, so please do share more about how you've been feeling if you feel comfortable doing so. 

You'd also be welcome to share any happy memories you have of your brother and sister, but there's no pressure to of course.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome @debbie1967 and thank you for reaching out on the community and sharing how you're feeling. 

I'd like to echo everyone and say the community is here to support you and to listen. There is no right or wrong way to grieve, so if you feel you need help then don't hesitate to ask.

Let us know how you're doing from time to time if you're able to, and I hope looking into counselling, speaking to your GP, and visiting Cruse can help too :) 

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness