Is it okay for a mother who's not disabled to use a disabled toilet to change her baby's nappy? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it okay for a mother who's not disabled to use a disabled toilet to change her baby's nappy?

Options
Dionne_2022
Dionne_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 9 Listener
Disable toilets, Hi I’m Dee Is it acceptable for a mother who is not disabled to use a disabled toilet to change her baby’s nappy and prevent a disabled person using it?
I stopped off on the motorway and needed an accessible toilet and this woman was ahead of me and just wanted to change her baby. I asked if I could go before her . She point blank refused. Is this acceptable?
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,610 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Dionne_2022 welcome.  I can understand  your frustration.  She may have had  a hidden disability herself, as do I, yet I don't look like I should be using a disabled loo, yet I need to. Also there is no law that says non disabled person can't use a disabled loo.
  • Dionne_2022
    Options
    No just a disabled toilet, the baby changing toilet had a longer queue 
  • Dionne_2022
    Options
    She actually said I’m not disabled I just need to change my baby, that is why I asked if I could go ahead of her. I know not all disabilities are visible, very frustrating 
  • Dionne_2022
    Options
    I have a Radar key, now, things should be easier going forward.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,610 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The keys are good when your out and about
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Radar keys are assets!  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness