Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you learn about the news?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,096 Disability Gamechanger

I am just wondering how people tend to find out what the "news" is. By "news" I mean current events like world events, politics, economics, celebrities, etc. as opposed to say family/personal news.

I couldn’t make a poll enabling the selection of multiple answers so just select the most relevant one. Also feel free to post comments if you want to.

Personally I actively avoid the news and tend to believe that anything important enough I will learn without actually seeking it out because people will be discussing it. So I chose “word of mouth”. However I do read some economic news as I like to follow the price of things that affect us like natural gas, oil, and the pound:dollar exchange rate.

I am looking forward to hearing peoples answers.

How do you learn about the news? 15 votes

Newspapers or Magazines
0%
Television
13%
janer1967Grinchy 2 votes
Radio
13%
woodbineOverlyAnxious 2 votes
News websites or Apps
53%
leeCalTori_ScopeSandy_123bg844[Deleted User]Alex_AlumniHannah_Alumnisookiegirl 8 votes
Social media or Forums
13%
Teigrdurhamjaide2001 2 votes
Word of mouth
6%
66Mustang 1 vote
Something else
0%

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    News websites or Apps
    I have the sky news app on my phone, so I get banners with the headlines from around the world. For other news I have to search for it, mainly archeological. It doesn't always seem to hit the headlines. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    News websites or Apps
    I try to avoid news channels on TV, the 24hr ones can be a bit relentless and get you down, but with an app, it's sometimes easier to limit your exposure, for me anyway! I do hear it on the radio too :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,516 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    News websites or Apps
    When I set my Google hub in the morning to  awake, it tells me weather, the latest news and sport news
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Radio
    Several ways radio, paper, social media and TV 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• sookiegirl
    sookiegirl Community member Posts: 169 Courageous
    Options
    News websites or Apps
    I look at sky news and the daily mail which I really wouldn’t call news more of a gossip rag. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,096 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Word of mouth
    Sandy_123 said:
    When I set my Google hub in the morning to  awake, it tells me weather, the latest news and sport news
    Oh I didn't think of that way of getting the news, that's clever :) 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,677 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Radio
    I wake up to the radio every morning so hear the headlines first through there. 

Then check Facebook & Instagram once or twice a day. 

And most evenings I'll use the BBC 'red button' to read any articles that I choose through the TV.  Also check weather and sports results through the red button.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,893 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Television
    I like to switch on bbc news in the morning, my preferred news channel, also via radio if we are out in the car, i like to be updated and find these work for me