How do you learn about the news? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you learn about the news?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,894 Disability Gamechanger

I am just wondering how people tend to find out what the "news" is. By "news" I mean current events like world events, politics, economics, celebrities, etc. as opposed to say family/personal news.

I couldn’t make a poll enabling the selection of multiple answers so just select the most relevant one. Also feel free to post comments if you want to.

Personally I actively avoid the news and tend to believe that anything important enough I will learn without actually seeking it out because people will be discussing it. So I chose “word of mouth”. However I do read some economic news as I like to follow the price of things that affect us like natural gas, oil, and the pound:dollar exchange rate.

I am looking forward to hearing peoples answers.

How do you learn about the news? 15 votes

Newspapers or Magazines
0%
Television
13%
janer1967Grinchy 2 votes
Radio
13%
woodbineOverlyAnxious 2 votes
News websites or Apps
53%
leeCalTori_ScopeSandy_123bg844[Deleted User]Alex_AlumniHannah_Alumnisookiegirl 8 votes
Social media or Forums
13%
Teigrdurhamjaide2001 2 votes
Word of mouth
6%
66Mustang 1 vote
Something else
0%

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    News websites or Apps
    I have the sky news app on my phone, so I get banners with the headlines from around the world. For other news I have to search for it, mainly archeological. It doesn't always seem to hit the headlines. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    News websites or Apps
    I try to avoid news channels on TV, the 24hr ones can be a bit relentless and get you down, but with an app, it's sometimes easier to limit your exposure, for me anyway! I do hear it on the radio too :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,874 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    News websites or Apps
    When I set my Google hub in the morning to  awake, it tells me weather, the latest news and sport news
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,755 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Radio
    Several ways radio, paper, social media and TV 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• sookiegirl
    sookiegirl Community member Posts: 169 Courageous
    Options
    News websites or Apps
    I look at sky news and the daily mail which I really wouldn’t call news more of a gossip rag. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,894 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Word of mouth
    Sandy_123 said:
    When I set my Google hub in the morning to  awake, it tells me weather, the latest news and sport news
    Oh I didn't think of that way of getting the news, that's clever :) 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Radio
    I wake up to the radio every morning so hear the headlines first through there. 

Then check Facebook & Instagram once or twice a day. 

And most evenings I'll use the BBC 'red button' to read any articles that I choose through the TV.  Also check weather and sports results through the red button.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,883 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Television
    I like to switch on bbc news in the morning, my preferred news channel, also via radio if we are out in the car, i like to be updated and find these work for me

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.