Adopting A Child With Cerebral Palsy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adopting A Child With Cerebral Palsy

Options
Guest Community member Posts: 1,968 Listener
edited May 2016 in Cerebral palsy

Comments

• nickandju
    nickandju Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi there

We're considering adpoting a 2 year old with diplegia. We also have daughter of 5. Although we've seen and heard lots wondered if any parents could share a bit on experience in terms of how time, commitment etc. of a child with CP differs from any other child.
  • angelpants
    angelpants Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options

hi there
    my son is 1 he has cp quad spastic one and i agree u do have lots of hospital appointments and caring but my god i wouldnt be without him he brings a smile on my face everyday and he has elipsey and he goes through alot but parents with kids without special needs some do take things for granted they told us that ben wont walk or talk but he can talk and if was in your situation i would adopt because adopting a child with addtional needs is rewarding and they always bring a smile to ur face but thats my opinion and i do have 2 other children a boy 16 and a girl 3 aswell so we arent parents to just one child i hope you come to a descion and all the best and take care xx
  • jennyh
    jennyh Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    That's a huge question! - and it depends so much on how the child is affected by their diplegia. Can they walk, are they affected only in the legs or are their other issues - learning difficulties, impaired sight, hearing, hand function, seizures, speech, continence etc etc?

Bear in mind that if they are not mobile and their legs are very stiff they may not be able to get enough exercise and so could become fairly heavy onec they reach early teens - so you may need to think about moving and handling issues, hoists etc. If they cannot walk you will need a house and a vehicle that can be accessed by wheelchair (but of course there are ways and means to do most things - where there is a will there's a way, as they say!)

If they have other associated issues then you would have to make sure that they had the help they needed at school (by way of a statement of special educational need).

And so on....sorry this sounds so negative - but these are all real issues that those of us with CP kids probably have to deal with on a daily basis. The child you may adopt is young yet so no-one will really know how much or little their CP is going to affect them in the future... You would probably find it useful to get hold of a copy of the Cerebral Palsy Handbook by Marion Stanton if you can. It may be out of print now but well worth reading.

If you do adopt then there are parent sites which are a mine of information, for example www.specialkidsintheuk.org - and there are actually quite a few adoptive parenst (of disabled children) on there.

best wishes
  • KELLYMUM
    KELLYMUM Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I commend you , having a child with additional needs /specail needs can be touch , but it does come with its rewards as well ( when they meet milestone that no SN children -parents take for granted )
    you will probaly spend alot of time at different appointments and therapy's.
    forunately my son cp is quite mild he has hemiplegia he wears a splint through the day for school this is to help with his balance to stop him intoeing and walking on tip toes it also streches his muscle throughout the day. He also has expressive language delay and disorder , a right sided squint ( so he wears glasses ( we have to do patching 2 hours a day ) and also physio and exercises on a night time. ( again streching) ...
    He has had botox injections once whicfh really helped.
    He is 4 and in mainstream nursery starts reception in September ( full time ) althoughh he is having some difficulties social interaction , listening and conceration he will be attending a child developemnt centre in October has he is a little delayed then his peers.
    All in all we are coping because we have no choice....
  • bridgeen
    bridgeen Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Have you tried the site "special kids in the uk", there are carers and adoptive parents there that you could maybe talk to.

Liz
    Options

Nat was 2 when we adopted her, she had just been diagnosed with diaplegia. We were scared, unsure and nervous at the time but to be honest, it is the best thing I have ever done in my life. She is my whole world, so what is she walks with a limp - they told us at the adoption panal that she may never walk! Any child takes commitment, an adopted child takes alot more, especially early on but at the end of the day, Nat is a healthy, normal little girl with a slight disability. We as parents are quite forceful in terms of making her get on with things, at the same time she is determined herself to not let CP affect her. She now swims, has her own pony (even mucks out), rides a bike and goes dancing.

Life is a challenge for her at times but as parents, we encourage her to make that life as normal as possible and the way she is developing makes us very proud of her. She did not have the best start in life but that is in the past. We have since adopted again, she became a big sister 2 and a half years ago and her little sister is now 3 and the two are inseperable - even look alike (I think alice hs taken on Nats pouty expressions!!!!!)

I have a very understanding employer who lets me have as much time off as I need for appointments etc which is another thing to bare in mind. I would love to tell you more but I dont feel comfy putting it all on a public forum. Is there a private messaging facility?
    Options
    Hi Natsmum

I'm afraid there isn't a private messaging facility on the Scope forum. I'm sure however that there is on the Special Kids in the UK site.

Kind regards

Forums Moderator
  • jenkey
    jenkey Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi there, my 2 year old has diplegia. I guess she is considered fairly mild although at the moment she isn't walking and we have been told that she will not be walking unaided when she starts school. Children with CP vary so much, Heather doesn't appear to have learning difficulties at this moment and has excellent speech which helps a lot. She is a little love but it is hard work, both physically and emotionally but it is so worth it. Today she took her first tentative steps across the kitchen using her Kaye walker and my heart nearly exploded with pride. I'd love to hear how you get on with your new child, best wishes for the future.
  • angelpants
    angelpants Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options

hi
    thats brought tears to my eyes your girl taking steps well done heather thats really good xx
  • thara22
    thara22 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi

I have a 2 month old with CP and its no different then a 'typical' family's schedule though. I went through hell in the days after birth. My daughter helped me cope at a time when I lost all hope. It is tiring but rewarding, very rewarding.

Brightness