support for siblings — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

support for siblings

b8s
b8s Community member Posts: 33 Listener
Hi,
I have six children. One of my daughters has CP. Normally we are very organised, and life trundles along happily for all of us. Unfortunately our worker from action for children has been off for a month, she usually comes in four mornings a week to feed, wash and dress Alice, so I have had to find an extra hour on those mornings. My other children have been amazing and really tried to help out, but despite best efforts the housework is starting to mount up, I'm getting more exhausted, and on top of everything Alice had to have an MRI which meant be at the hospital at 8:00 am. My cousin stayed with us, but obviously routine was thrown out even further.
I have no idea when our worker will return, and they have no cover. My eldest son is now showing signs of real distress. Crying at the school gate, not sleeping properly, and losing interest in hobbies. He is only 10. The girls are a little better, but are starting to get emotional.
They are registered with action for young carers, but are only offered day trips as support.
I would really appreciate any advice, as at this moment I can't see a way forward.

Comments

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Hi b8s

Would you be able to give us a call at Scope Response helpline? We would be happy to discuss the issues you are facing and try to assist you with finding support.

You can contact us on the freephone number, tel: 0808 800 3333, or by email, response@scope.org.uk.

Kind regards

Forums Moderator
  • b8s
    b8s Community member Posts: 33 Listener
    Hi,
    I'm updating this as we have learnt so much from this experience. After writing this post, I was advised that I should have an assessment of my daughters needs, which we did. The social worker wasn't a lot of help and made me feel ungrateful for not being satisfied with the support we had, despite the fact that it wasn't working. I also went to my G.P who was excellent, he was really supportive and also wrote to the social worker. Although social services still wouldn't help us directly, they did write to action for children requesting that they put in support for five mornings a week term time and cover their staff absences. As a result the situation has improved remarkably.
    It is really important that parents realise that they are not alone and there can be so many obstacles put in your way when you need help most, but by persisting and finding the right person to listen to you, the help you need is often available.
    Charlotte

Brightness