Talking To Your Child About Their Disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Talking To Your Child About Their Disability

InformationSupportWorker
InformationSupportWorker Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hi
A parent group in North London want to do an article for their newsletter about when and how parents talk to their child about their disability and whether anyone knows of or has used resources that have been helpful?
Many thanks

Comments

• mafala
    mafala Community member Posts: 71 Listener
    I bought Living with Cerebral Palsy because a parent on the forum recommended it as a resource, but I didn't like it and won't be using it to talk to my son about his disability. I think it was because it was aimed at able-bodied children (like most things). It would have been helpful if Scope had produced a book that explain cerebral palsy to the child who has it. I was really disappointed. I am struggling with trying to help my son discover things about himself in a way that is positive. Other kids refer to him in third person and there is no way I'm going to read him a book which does exactly that. If anyone out there knows of any resource that does not refer to the disabled child as someone we ought to feel sorry for or someone who dreams they could fly like birds, and other dreadful sentimental stuff, please please let me know!
    Guest Community member Posts: 1,968 Listener
    Hi mafala,

If you have not already seen it you may want to check out the scope factsheet entitled 'A selection of books for young children on cerebral palsy and related issues' which is located in the information section of the scope website.

Titles of books along with references and a brief summary of content are included.

Regards

Forums Moderator

• EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    I am a disabled parent who has two children, one has a disability, the other doesn't. I am looking into the idea of writing a short book/booklet about the issue of talking to a child about their disability.

Do you know if this article ever got written as I'd be very interested in reading it?
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi Alex
    Thanks for responding and for the link which was really useful. Honesty does seem to keep coming up as the best policy, along with some very positive talking.
    Best Wishes.
    Emma

Brightness