Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Here's what I make ...

Options
Tmb79
Tmb79 Community member Posts: 5 Listener

So I basically spend most of my time making things out of wood and vinyl, sadly I can't do as much as I used to, but the vinyl side is really relaxing for me and helps with my mental health. I make car stickers, signs, t-shirts....

Comments

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,890 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    very interesting @Tmb79, good that you have something to keep you busy, looks good
  • Superbetty
    Superbetty Community member Posts: 448 Pioneering
    Options
    It looks great! I love the sign:-)
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @tmb79 looks great and welcome to the forum
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,755 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Tmb79 Welcome to the Community. Well done on having such a useful hobby. Take care.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Looks great @Tmb79 :) Is the vinyl just stick and peel or is it heat pressed on?
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Tmb79
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope it's just peel and go, I have some htp that I want to use to make a t-shirt for a friends son's birthday, but currently don't have an iron.... Don't actually think I have ever owned one lol. So need one of those. I make and sell my work but don't get many people interested, however the planters were super popular yet a struggle to make. Check me out on Instagram; Tmbwoodcrafts and please give me a follow. (Cheeky plug there...) 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wow, not a fan of ironing then! Don't blame you ;)

I've seen those handheld presses for heat transfers too, but think an iron wouldn't definitely be more cost effective. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
    Nice planters @Tmb79 ... I especially like the square ones, you've given me an idea  ;)  Nice mitreing

Do you use a timber preservative ?  I use Barretine clear timber preservative on my garden stuff, seems to last the test of time compared to non-treated pallets, which only last about 3 years in wettest Wales

Like you I can't do what I used to, especially things like sawing by hand, my chop saw is invaluable now.

This was made from pallet wood

With LED's

• Tmb79
    Options
    @WelshBlue the wood I use has already been treated so saves me loads of time and money, I struggle to use most of my power tools now as I end up with really bad shaking hands . 

Thanks for your compliments I did everything by hand, so really impressed with how they turned out, the same customer wants me to make them a gate and an archway as well so hopefully I'll be ok to make that as well. Just takes ages as I can't stand up for as long as I used to 😭. 

Love your bed tho, looks amazing 
  • Tmb79
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope I'm a man I don't iron anything, but then I hardly leave the house so don't need to lol. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @Sandy_123 ... thanks  :)  It was a real labour of love.  All proper old fashioned joints

... but I've just seen the bubble in the lining paper.  Arghhh can't live with that now I've seen it

@Tmb79 ... I can see it's treated timber now, must make each planter quite expensive ?
    I grudge buying timber now, extortionate prices - I remember what I used to get per tree (felling and snedding) or per tonne on the roadside ... cut and stacked - you wouldn't believe the mark up on a 24 tonne lorry load  :*:o
  • PollyPick
    PollyPick Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Options
    I began making cards - trouble is even with a trimmer I cannot make a straight line and my cards tend to be rather 'wonky'!
  • PollyPick
    PollyPick Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Tmb79 I do love your planters - Its therapeutic hammering nails into a piece of wood - I've tried it and made a small platform out of a pallet; but what you can do is really lovely and the Notice is great; keep going as long as you can.
  • Lisa82
    Lisa82 Scope Member Posts: 202 Pioneering
    Options
    Tmb79 said:

So I basically spend most of my time making things out of wood and vinyl, sadly I can't do as much as I used to, but the vinyl side is really relaxing for me and helps with my mental health. I make car stickers, signs, t-shirts....

Well done