Here's what I make ... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Here's what I make ...

Options
Tmb79
Tmb79 Community member Posts: 5 Listener

So I basically spend most of my time making things out of wood and vinyl, sadly I can't do as much as I used to, but the vinyl side is really relaxing for me and helps with my mental health. I make car stickers, signs, t-shirts....

Comments

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,874 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    very interesting @Tmb79, good that you have something to keep you busy, looks good
  • Superbetty
    Superbetty Community member Posts: 448 Pioneering
    Options
    It looks great! I love the sign:-)
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,526 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @tmb79 looks great and welcome to the forum
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,970 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Tmb79 Welcome to the Community. Well done on having such a useful hobby. Take care.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Looks great @Tmb79 :) Is the vinyl just stick and peel or is it heat pressed on?
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Tmb79
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope it's just peel and go, I have some htp that I want to use to make a t-shirt for a friends son's birthday, but currently don't have an iron.... Don't actually think I have ever owned one lol. So need one of those. I make and sell my work but don't get many people interested, however the planters were super popular yet a struggle to make. Check me out on Instagram; Tmbwoodcrafts and please give me a follow. (Cheeky plug there...) 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wow, not a fan of ironing then! Don't blame you ;)

I've seen those handheld presses for heat transfers too, but think an iron wouldn't definitely be more cost effective. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    Options
    Nice planters @Tmb79 ... I especially like the square ones, you've given me an idea  ;)  Nice mitreing

Do you use a timber preservative ?  I use Barretine clear timber preservative on my garden stuff, seems to last the test of time compared to non-treated pallets, which only last about 3 years in wettest Wales

Like you I can't do what I used to, especially things like sawing by hand, my chop saw is invaluable now.

This was made from pallet wood

With LED's

• Tmb79
    Options
    @WelshBlue the wood I use has already been treated so saves me loads of time and money, I struggle to use most of my power tools now as I end up with really bad shaking hands . 

Thanks for your compliments I did everything by hand, so really impressed with how they turned out, the same customer wants me to make them a gate and an archway as well so hopefully I'll be ok to make that as well. Just takes ages as I can't stand up for as long as I used to 😭. 

Love your bed tho, looks amazing 
  • Tmb79
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope I'm a man I don't iron anything, but then I hardly leave the house so don't need to lol. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,526 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @Sandy_123 ... thanks  :)  It was a real labour of love.  All proper old fashioned joints

... but I've just seen the bubble in the lining paper.  Arghhh can't live with that now I've seen it

@Tmb79 ... I can see it's treated timber now, must make each planter quite expensive ?
    I grudge buying timber now, extortionate prices - I remember what I used to get per tree (felling and snedding) or per tonne on the roadside ... cut and stacked - you wouldn't believe the mark up on a 24 tonne lorry load  :*:o
  • PollyPick
    PollyPick Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Options
    I began making cards - trouble is even with a trimmer I cannot make a straight line and my cards tend to be rather 'wonky'!
  • PollyPick
    PollyPick Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Tmb79 I do love your planters - Its therapeutic hammering nails into a piece of wood - I've tried it and made a small platform out of a pallet; but what you can do is really lovely and the Notice is great; keep going as long as you can.
  • Lisa82
    Lisa82 Scope Member Posts: 202 Pioneering
    Options
    Tmb79 said:

So I basically spend most of my time making things out of wood and vinyl, sadly I can't do as much as I used to, but the vinyl side is really relaxing for me and helps with my mental health. I make car stickers, signs, t-shirts....

Well done 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.