Adeli Method — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adeli Method

Options
Guest Community member Posts: 1,968 Listener
edited September 2014 in Children, parents, and families
Hi,

I wondered if anyone had heard of, or tried the Adeli-method with their child. It's a bit like conductive education but an intensive course with the use of the 'Adeli suit' (coming from methods used with astronauts based on a...

"suit named "Pengiun", used in manned space flights since 1971. Its purpose was to avoid damaging effects of longer stays in an environment of weightlessness and hypokinesis."

It supports the child so they can practive movements otherwise very difficult. Seems to have some good results but mainly used with people from USA, Germany, Austria etc.

Would love to hear from anyone!!! See www.adeli-method.com to get a better idea!

Comments

• ange
    ange Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi,

I wondered if anyone had heard of, or tried the Adeli-method with their child. It's a bit like conductive education but an intensive course with the use of the 'Adeli suit' (coming from methods used with astronauts based on a...

"suit named "Pengiun", used in manned space flights since 1971. Its purpose was to avoid damaging effects of longer stays in an environment of weightlessness and hypokinesis."

It supports the child so they can practive movements otherwise very difficult. Seems to have some good results but mainly used with people from USA, Germany, Austria etc.

Would love to hear from anyone!!! See www.adeli-method.com to get a better idea!
  • weepolarbear
    weepolarbear Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi - I'm looking for info also - I am also looking for other therapies that are primarily for the upper body also.
    If anyone has any info I'd love too hear about it!
  • rimarm
    rimarm Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hello,

The so-called Adeli-method seems to be working, at least from what I have seen on the TV and in the media. As a resident of Slovakia, I can say that the local clinic called the "Adeli Medical Center" appears on TV with increasing frequency, particularly in live charity events and shows dedicated to disabled children. I believe their treatment is not only about the exercise in the "suit", but includes other therapies (HBOC, biofeedback, etc.), which amplify the effect of stimulation of the CNS. But I guess it is always better to check directly with them, if and how can they help you/your child.
  • imogen37
    imogen37 Community member Posts: 61 Listener
    Options
    Hi,

I have a son now 2 years old who has severe spastic quadriplegia. After much looking around we settled on a therapy called ABR (Advanced Biomechanical Rehabilitation).

From what we can see it is the only CP therapy which actually reverses the ill-effects that CP has on the musculaoskeletal system. ABR is used for many different brain injuries where the motor system has been affected.

To cut a long story short we hae been having fantastic results with our son (Marten complete his first year on ABR yesterday) to the extent that we have been working with the main organisation in Belgium to bring this therapy to the UK - it arrives in March. Unfotunately, the therapy still has to be privately funded but we do actively fund-raise for our son as other parents who are joining us have started to do.

For more information go to www.abrscotland.com

My basic instincts tells me that a therapy which does not involve drugs, surgery or forceful intervention and which concentrates in restoring natural function and has demonstrated success where other therapies have failed is well worth consideration.

Hope this helps.
  • My_angel
    My_angel Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Options
    hello

we are planing to take our daughter to Adei in Slovakia most probably in Feb this year (there are about 5 to 8 type of therapies - including suite therapy, massage,physio, and others, I heard lots of good feedbacks from other parents so will be able to give some info on return.
  • fixxer85
    fixxer85 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi My_Angel,

Just FYI - I think you can also ask for HBOT at ADELI, which also yields outstanding results in combination with the intensive physio in the suit. How many weeks are you planning to go for, if I may ask?
  • My_angel
    My_angel Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Options
    hi Fixxer,

unfortunately our trip has been postponed until April, we plan to take block of two weeks including hbot.

Will send some feedbacks on return.

• emily1
    emily1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    We went to Adeli in Slovakia in May and our son David (spastic CP) has made fantastic improvements. The therapy is very intense, so it's not for everyone though. At the end of the day, he used to cry and complain, but it was so worth it! He is now able to walk 15-20 steps completely unaided, which we never even dreamed of. We hope to go back in the fall!
  • cosmosuit
    cosmosuit Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    See for Cosmosuit in FBook

Brightness