ASD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ASD

HBPencil
HBPencil Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi, I am 33 years old. I have got ASD. I recently had problems with my ASD being wrongly diagnosed as depression by my doctor and put on antidepressants, which made my behaviour really bad. I eventually got taken off the antidepressants and told I was never to take them again. My problem is I do not know what to do when I get really down and stressed. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• RuthGreen
    RuthGreen Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi, not meaning to sound too much like a text book, I find regular exercise really helps. You could try joining your local fitness centre council run centres are not too expensive and are very good. If you don't feel up to that fast walking, regular light jog in a local park can be good. Also careful eating makes such a difference too. If you try to keep sweets, crisps, sugars, fizzy drinks out of your diet you'll feel better. My son felt so much better when he came off his anti depressants, they didn't work at all for him. I hope you get some other helpful replies, I'll be looking out for replies to your post too to pick up some suggestions myself.
  • Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    ask GP about referral to CBT cognitive behavioural therapy where you can work with a therapist to develop strategies to deal with specific triggers for stress/anxiety
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    Just talking about your different feelings can help, even if you speak about it on this site, we will try and help advise you where we can. My son has autism and I am really down just now, but I forget he could be down too, your post here has reminded me of that. Use this website to chat about your feelings, this will help us a parents/carers also understand and you wont be bottling up your feelings. Hope we can help in some way. take care
  • HBPencil
    Thanks Marie. It's good to find someone who might understand me. I will try that when I get down. If I can do the same for you I will try.
  • JimJams
    I am trying my best to understand my son, but sometimes he comes accross to me as wanting to hurt me or upset me and I cant handle it. Its as if he wants to fight, I try hard not to react when he hits out at me. Its very difficult, he will then apologise and cuddle me then do the whole thing over again. I know this must be frustration and his way of trying to tell me something but I dont know what. I just wish he could tell me what the problem is. I will do my best to try and help you with anxieties you have, you will probably be more in a position to help me and other parents in some respects . Hope you are having a better day today.
  • HBPencil
    I know you think he means to do it, but he doesn't. He is probably finding it hard to tell you what the problem is. He does not mean to hurt you or upset you. It is frustration. I hope you have a better day soon. I am having a good day today. Thankyou.
  • JimJams
    Thanks for your comments, glad you are having a better day. keep thinking positive and I will do the same.
  • HBPencil
    Hi Marie,

How are you doing? Hope you had a good christmas.
  • JimJams
    Christmas was great ,my son had a good time and was a bit more interested this year in it all. He has been singing christmas songs and helping write cards etc. Hope you had a good christmas too.
  • HBPencil
    That' s great. I had a good family christmas, but i am sad now that all the decorations are down and the house looks bare. Hope things continue to be good for you and your son.
  • Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Hi New Year and positive start. Hope you are planning ahead. Aim to do one positive thing a day for YOU! never over aim, or you might get disappointed. It's not much to squeeze in one treat for the most important person just a short walk, to sit and watch your TV, or read a book, phone a friend, or invite someone over. Be proud of looking after yourself.
    Good luck I'm off to the gym then health suite to meet fellow carers. Stress busting day!
  • JimJams
    You are right about new year and a positive start, I am going to take a leaf out of your book and take more time for myself. thanks for the advice , hope you have a great day
  • HBPencil
    I am pleased you had a good Christmas. I did too. It was a nice family Christmas. Hope you are still doing well and your son is too.
  • JimJams
    Things are still good, we even had a weekend away to my brothers holiday home , my son settled quite well, and enjoyed seeing all the scottish lochs on our journey

Brightness