Climbers & Escape artists — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Climbers & Escape artists

Options
DebsA
DebsA Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Does anyone have any suggestions to keep a 7yr severe ASD child from climbing a gate and escaping. The gate is smooth wood with no evident foot holds and about 6' high. They have managed to escape twice this week and am stuck as to what to do. Cannot add height (as this would give him further to fall) so wondered if anyone else has this problem and how they resolved it.

Comments

• Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Hi
    I'm soooooooooooo lucky....my son is so dyspraxic he couldn't climb a 6 inch gate! When he runs, he falls over after a few feet, stress free!!! BUT for children that are runners, I know it is extremely hard, bolts on windows, locking doors etc. But for outdoors, have you tried the anti climb paint? It's expensive, but got to be worth a try. Easily available online. Good luck
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    Options
    Try attaching to the gate the expandable wood that you get from garden centres, you know the diamond shaped stuff that expands in and out. this is very flimsy and when your child tries to hold onto it, they might feel that it wont hold their weight and let go . It also leaves a uneven edge at the top if you let this stick up past the gate height a bit, your child may look at it and think that would hurt if they got caught going over the top. good luck
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Options
    How high is the gate? I'm reading your post and wondering if it is 6ft (but that would be a door) and 6 inches would be tiny.
    A door may be your only answer if Marie's suggestion doesn't work.

Brightness