Disabled high toilets — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled high toilets

Kosko
Kosko Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi,

I'm 48, CP quad and married for 20 years. As most of you know in the last decade, or so, a new toilet has been dawned upon us, the mammoth high "disabled" toilet. Everywhere I look, there they are.

I know I'm in a virtually impossible situation, but I just cannot use them. To think that 30 years ago I was in a college on Coventry full of people with different disabilities and not one of the toilets in the hostels/dorms were high. Of course there were seat risers for those that needed them, though I genuinely never knew anybody that did.

I just feel like I'm in a hopeless situation. My wife and I travel as much as we can in Europe and the U.S. and although we have encountered an "accessible" room with a "normal" toilet, this is getting more and more difficult.

Who was it that globally seemed to decide this? From my perspective the world seems to have grouped "elderly" and "disabled" together. It really means our travel destinations are becoming so limited and it's so stupid that now an accessible room is no longer suitable to me.

I suppose I'm venting as there's little I can do.

Comments

• milo
    milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    Suspect you may be right about grouping disabled and elderley together. In my area they have taken it one step further and lumped disabled and baby changing facilities together. I know nappies need changing but does it need to be at expense of wheelchair users. There is even a supposedly disabled toilet near here where it is all but impossible to get a chair in at the right angle to transfer easily. And yes, this may be a rant but we cant be the only ones with these problems...
  • Kosko
    edited July 2014
    Thanks Milo. I just can't believe in the year 2000 I travelled a lot in the U.S. and had the same choice of hotels as anybody else. Now they've all been replaced with these high toilets. Same here in the UK. - I am sure many can use them, I know many friends with disabilities that can't.

One hotel in London went a step further and would not allow me to stay in a "normal" room. They said it's because the "disabled" room had an alarm (that I can't reach). And despite my wife being able bodied. Shan't be staying there again.

I'm just curious how this high toilet thing all started.
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited July 2014
    Thanks Kosko for your post, Yes i see the potential problem grouping elderly people, disabled people and mothers and babies together. We all have different and often very individual needs, guess with hotels and public toilets it's not easy trying to fill every ones need! I have my toilet raised up very slightly on a bit of wood, carefully measured for my use by my OT. She said that having toilets set too high can make it difficult when people are sitting on it, to do a number 2! I must say that sometimes I have found standard high toilets to be too high. Probably the most important part for me is a good firm grab rail to hold onto to steady yourself and get on and off.

Its only by talking about these kind of things that hopefully solutions can be found, so don't view it that you are having a rant.
  • Kosko
    Thanks Noah, I appreciate it.

Yes, I can't straighten my arms much and as my legs don't obediently bend when they need to, I'm perched on this what seems the Empire State Building of a toilet! :)

Indeed finding something that suits everybody is an all but impossible task. I'm just curious how the "high disabled toilet" idea began, whose idea it was and where hotels and such are getting their information from. A standard toilet with a riser option at least gives a choice.

Thanks for all the input!
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    We have an 'Empire State Building' too! Luv that phrase Kosko. I asked our OT when it was fitted, and was told it was to fit in with 'Doc M' regulations. I'm not entirely convinced either, I understand in public places you have to try to meet as many needs as you can, and maybe someone will be along in a minute saying they adore loos of epic proportions! But in the meantime, reading through the regs is quite interesting... http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADM_2004.pdf
  • Kosko
    OMG it is interesting reading. (Not being sarcastic!). I see according to this that toilets must accommodate a riser. On top of the super high toilet?!?! Goodness any higher and we'll have to watch a demonstration indicating the exit routes here, here and here and how to pull the cord towards you to activate the oxygen mask.

I really appreciate that Kathy, thank you for linking it.
  • Noah
    You have a great sense of humor and way expressing it Kosko, made me laugh.

• Noah
    Maybe there is a business opportunity here for someone to design and make fully adjustable, to suite all individual needs, travel friendly toilet seat. Also in a range of colours and styles! If anyone makes it success with this idea, please remember where you got it from!! :-)

Brightness