waking at night.....zzzzzzzzzz — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

waking at night.....zzzzzzzzzz

Options
Natasha Brown
Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
edited September 2014 in Autism and neurodiversity
thought we had cracked the waking up in the night after a few blissful nights sleep...but no; has been ongoing - son 17 wakes up and wanders to find me. will go back to sleep if taken back and told yes you can do computer tomorrow, yes you will go to school (or wherever) etc. but years of disturbed sleep no good for going to work next day. my mistakes/slip ups tally with several nights of poor sleep...

melatonin worked previously with getting to sleep and he now usually goes to sleep ok - but it has never stopped the night time/early morning waking. if it's past six am (on Saturday usually -why?) then he wont sleep more, so ends up on computer...

he needs the human touch of a person saying back to bed/ taking him back.

there is no answer I guess?
and i know some of you have it worse....
yawn....

Comments

• socksoff
    socksoff Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
    I share your pain but was hoping that by the time my son is 17 it might be better! He is 11 at the moment and wakes in the early hours - sometimes 2am, 4am but definitely 5-5.30am is his regular time. He does now have Circadin which is the time release melatonin which is supposed to help sustain sleep but I haven't noticed much difference to be honest. We are currently trying to show him on the digital clock that he has to stay in bed until 6am but have failed miserably so far. We have a mattress on the floor in our room at the moment as he will come in and crash out there without disturbing us but it's not a great solution! Sorry not to be more helpful but I think the sleep thing is a real issue and there don't seem to be many answers. Tonight - for the first time ever - we are having a night's respite (if it works) as he is staying with a link family. Fingers crossed! I'm sure I'll be awake by 5!!
  • Shona
    Shona Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    my daughter is 23 years old and our experience is very similar to yours - melatonin helped establish a sleep pattern but nighttime visits to ask if we are sleeping, check we are in bed etc continued to be an issue. Our daughter recently moved into residential accommodation where she has an ensuite bathroom and although she gets up to the toilet she very rarely goes out of her room. However when she spends the night at home she reverts to her previous behaviour so I guess we are stuck with it! After years of disturbed sleep I still wake up at least once, usually twice a night.

Brightness