moving forward with aspergers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

moving forward with aspergers

Options
pinkmalibu
pinkmalibu Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2014 in Autism and neurodiversity
I really need some advice. My partner has aspergers and is high functioning. Weve been together for 18 months and engaged for six. He is 30 and has lived in supported living for 7years and asking to move for five. I am working full time and we want to move in together but are being blocked at every turn. He manages his own medication and budget, but his savings account is managed. We have stated we would be happy for his money to continue being managed after he moves. Due to me working all day the only proper time we get together is evenings and weekends. They say he has to stay at home 3nights a week we have a dog so i cant stay at his. Where would we stand if he just left? Were both fed up with the situation and just want to move forward with our lives, and dont see why we should be denied that just because he has aspergers

Comments

• Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Its very difficult for me to advise directly as to what you should do.

When authorities make decisions on supported living and such like, they make decisions based on the information they have available to them at the time, and the major factor that they base most decisions on is "Risk" That is risk to themselves, risk to others, and risk to the individual. Normally, but not limited to, risk of harm, physical or physiological.

Where would it leave you if he just left?

It is not normally looked on very favorably, and you can be severally penalized if an individual deliberately makes themselves homeless.

Maybe a good letter to the relevant people asking for a full break down of reasons as to why they believe that supported living is required? And what criteria would need to be met to move onto the next stage eg, independent living, in sheltered accommodation.

This is quite a complicated area and no two cases are ever the same, I would strongly suggest talking to Shelter or citizens advice who are in a much better position to advise than I am, Scope response will also be able to point you in the right direction.

Wish you all the very best, hope you are able to get something sorted that works for both of you.
  • pinkmalibu
    pinkmalibu Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Sorry i didnt explain well. He wouldnt be making himself homeless he would be moving in with me. I own my own house and earn enough to support us. Staff have been promising at his supported living to speak to outreach and social services to put in place a care package and strategy to move for months, but they keep making excuses and promises that never materialise. Its not that they have said he cant move more that there not making any attempt to follow through and the manager is always 'too busy' so nothing gets done.
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited September 2014
    Options
    In my limited experience, you normally get results, when one communicates what they want to try and achieve to the relevant people in writing, that way there is a clear record and authorities normally have a communication policy they have to follow. ie. Having to respond within a certain amount of time.

Brightness