Discipline for 2 1/2 yr old with severe cp and vision loss, but v v aware! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discipline for 2 1/2 yr old with severe cp and vision loss, but v v aware!

aimeylady
aimeylady Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hey all, I'm looking for tips and strategies for discipline and coping methods for a 2 1/2 yr old with pure rage tantrums, when she gets laid on the floor to play, when she's out in any seating, when she's annoyed, I've tried ignoring but staying near, I've tried sympathy, I really can't take any negative comments or condemnation just looking for tips and help desperately. If I ignore her she gets so enraged she gets gagging, vomiting, coughing and then bursts all the blood vessels in her chest, neck and face!! I'm talking serious anger! HELP X

Comments

• GinaS
    GinaS Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Hi, that sounds quite difficult!! Hopefully other people will be able to share their tips too!

It's very important that you have identified when it occurs and one suggestion is to try and change/manipulate the environment around that times. For example, could you give her some tactile cues about what is happening/what is expected of her/what is going to happen next when she gets laid on the floor or when out in the seating? Considering her visual impairment she might need some cues in the environment so that she feels some reassurance.

I would also try to "use" the things she likes at these key times (and even before). Does she have any preferred items/toys you could engage her with before she gets laid on the floor for example? When does she have a very good time?

It's difficult sometimes to unpick what they try to communicate with their behaviour, but hopefully some of the tips might help!
  • Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    what communication does she have ? Is she able to say what is bothering or is this the only means of communication? can you ask her to calm down and tell you what is going on or is communication still at early stages?

• aimeylady
    aimeylady Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Thank you for all your help, sadly my daughter has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, her moods and behaviour were all linked! A tragic time for us all Evie has a Facebook page 'enabling Evie' x
  • Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    So sorry. Hope you can continue to create precious memories over coming weeks.
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Really sorry to hear that, am thinking of you and your family.

Brightness