Hiya!! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hiya!!

lewismummy
lewismummy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I seen the information about parents feeilng stressed!! i just cant belive since having my dislabled son ,is the amount of fighting you have to do to get things and how alone you feel!!! might just me that i feel alone but friends kinda of disspear from your life

Comments

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Hi Lewismummy, I think a lot of people feel like that. Having a disabled child is very hard at times, and that is when we need support from our friends and family, but people don't always understand, know what to do, or even say - and that makes it even harder.

Hopefully, this is somewhere where families can chat to others who are going through the same things, or have been there - and reduce that feeling of being the only one. Please feel free to ask any questions you want, tell us about what's happening - or just have a rant if you need to!
  • Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    It is true you lose some friends..but you gain new ones along the way.
  • lewismummy
    lewismummy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you
    ..i am glad this page is here .like you say ppl do go from your life ..nice to know ppl are in the dame boat xx
  • DougieO
    DougieO Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Feeling isolated and alone was certainly a nightmare at the outset of my son's problems... Finding and speaking to others in a similar situation does help
  • lauradavis1992
    lauradavis1992 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hello everyone,

I am a Psychology student who is in my last year of university and my dissertation is regarding stress in parents who have children with learning difficulties or disabilities. I was just wondering if any of you would mind filling out this survey for me. I would be so grateful!! It will only take 5-10 minutes. On there you will see why I have decided to study this and the implications it could have for the future !

Here is the link: https://westminsterpsych.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3WVxLxywzxtt62F

Any questions or queries let me know :)

Thanks,
    Laura
  • ReachingOut
    ReachingOut Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    You can also call The Newlife Foundation for help, support and guidance. Whether you are in need of information, access to grants or equipment if your local authority are unable to assist or whether you just need to speak to someone who understands. You can call free on 0800 902 0095 or www.newlifecharity.co.uk
  • monsmom
    monsmom Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Absolutely agree with you. So much fighting for one's child. But also difficult to maintain friendships. Very lonely position at times. One has to be very strong!
  • Needtoknow
    Needtoknow Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Have you also joined some of the special needs fb groups, they are excellent at finding others in same situation and fully recommend. I only discovered the sn fb communities last year and they've been great. Going Forward is a good one but also just Families in Need of Adaptations and Advice, Child Disability Allowance and longer bit to the group name is good, and there are many others relating to your child's diagnosis such as UK PVL or Epilepsy Sucks. They are a great source of comfort, advice and support and stop people feeling so isolated. 
  • kelly2016
    kelly2016 Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    I know how you feel.  I could have wrote that myself.  
    Scope do a face2face befriending service to support carers. 
    You should check it out. 
  • kelly2016
    kelly2016 Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    You should check out your local support groups in your area.  Meet a lot of carers in the same boat and make some really great friends as well 
  • mumma_f
    mumma_f Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    It is hard when you are so busy and so much to do for your child every day/waking hour. I often feel like I have nothing left to give other people. Sometimes it can be hard for friends or even family to know the internal exhaustion you feel. You need positive people in your life make you feel good and sounds like you are an awesome mum to your special guy ❤️ . The fighting is worth it! Always. I have to

What are the facebook groups called?
  • simonsable
    simonsable Community member Posts: 75 Connected
    As someone who has a lot of contact with parents through my work, I can imagine how hard it is sorting things out. Is it knowing who to go to for what issue? I am more than willing to help. 

Brightness