Shoes that fit over a splint — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shoes that fit over a splint

TANYAFIELDING
TANYAFIELDING Community member Posts: 18 Listener
I have a splint to help my right leg. I am now struggling to find shoes to fit over it. I have wide feet anyway and as it is my spastic leg it is slightly smaller however if I get bigger trainers to accommodate the splint I will be tripping over the long toe. Any suggestions greatly received. I don't buy expensive shoes as I put them through all the time.

Comments

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Skate shoes (like dc, or etnies) Are brilliant for going over splints as they go nice and wide. I've found that I don't always need to go a size larger with them, which was handy when I was only wearing one splint (I now wear two) I used an insole in the shoe without the splint to make sure the shoe fitted better, and it gave my foot a bit more support too - which is never a bad thing!
    I wear piedro boots with my splints too... They come in various width fittings so you can get a really precise fit. I now buy mine privately as I don't get them supplied by orthotics because I now wear two splints, but they are the best smart shoes I've found to fit splints in for when I can't wear trainers (in the office, going out or when I'm wearing a suit etc.) They are also very hard wearing! You might be able to get them supplied by orthotics.
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Just thought I'd tell people about some great boots I've found on Ebay.... They are made by a uk company called County, and are very similar to Piedro boots.
    There are various sizes available (both child and adult) in both Velcro and lace ups.
    They are really good to get over AFOs and are extremely hard wearing, mine were an absolute bargain at £19.99!!!!
  • Emma
    Emma Community member, Scope Member Posts: 85 Connected
    Really loving these tips! It would be great if you could share them in our tips section where everyone can see them: https://community.scope.org.uk/tips/shoes-and-socks

Brightness