I really don't know where to turn, sleeping on the settee as I cant manage the stairs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I really don't know where to turn, sleeping on the settee as I cant manage the stairs

Options

Comments

• mazblondie
    mazblondie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello, First post on the page, so If I have filled this in wrong , or in the wrong place. Apologies.

Have been diagnosed with degenerative arthritis and have been on the exchange list for approx 8 years, one since being diagnosed. Social services and occupational therapist have both agreed I need single floor living, this is after assessing my current property and finding it un-suitable for modification. (stairs too narrow for stair lift, nowhere for bathroom/wetroom, no way to change access to the property)

We have been bidding on properties, unfortunately as you will be aware properties at ground level and bungalows are highly sort after/over bidded but we are struggling to know what to do. I have fallen twice in the bath, once causing damage to my thumb, and I am scared to use it now without my husband being here to help me( he works so is not her all the time) My son has Aspergers syndrome(he is 16) and is not really able to help me when he is in the house, so am feeling even more isolated and useless.
    I really don't know where to turn, sleeping on the settee as I cant manage the stairs and Am pretty much housebound. I am only 40 and I just don't know where to turn.
    Any help would be so appreciated, I don't want someone to do everything, I just want to be able to live in a house I can do things for myself x

marie
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Dear mazblondie

Welcome to the Online Community and thank you for posting your question.
    Is your current property rented to you by the local authority or a housing association?
    If your landlord is the council or a housing association, have you been advised about finding properties through websites such as www.homeswapper.co.uk where you can advertise your property and view properties which are available for exchange? It's a great way to start the process and could speed up the waiting time if you are able to find a suitable swap and both landlords agree to the swap. If your landlord is a council or housing association they may already use a site like Homeswapper and you may not have to pay to use the service if the landlord is registered with the site. You should talk to your housing officer and ask about this if you haven't already done so. You can also find out more information about mutual exchanges on Shelter's website http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/social_housing/transfers_and_exchanges/exchanges
    Unfortunately cases like yours can take a while to be resolved due in large to the lack of affordable housing. If you could email me helpline@scope.org.uk with details of where you live I will see if I can find you some housing advice locally.

Kind regards
    Debbie

Brightness