Positivity Thread — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Positivity Thread

JenniferU
JenniferU Community member Posts: 108 Pioneering
edited January 2015 in Coffee lounge
Hi everyone! I just wanted to properly introduce myself as I’m new to the community. I’m Jen and I’ve been at Scope for four years now, in a few fundraising roles and now working on Scope’s social media and this lovely online community.

We wanted to start a Positivity Thread for you to add to as and when you like.

We'd love you tell us...

- What are the little things that make you smile every day?

- What are the great things that disability has brought into your life?

- Have you or your child achieved something that you were always told wouldn’t be possible?

I’ll kick start it off. Before working at Scope, I’d never had a disabled colleague. Which just seems ridiculous now! I’m proud and happy to work somewhere so diverse and inclusive, with such interesting people who all contribute something unique to Scope’s work.

I’m looking forward to seeing what makes you smile!

Comments

• ChelleM
    ChelleM Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Hi everyone, I've just had an email about the positivity thread and think it's an amazing idea! :) Having Cerebral palsy and having struggled with depression/anxiety throughout my life I know how hard it can be at times to be happy and positive but one of my biggest passions in life is to make others happy and let them see that no matter what your disability or struggles in life that things can get better and you can achieve anything you want! Earlier this year I decided that it was about time I stopped worrying and started working towards my dream. So in September 2014 I started my own blog about living positively with Cerebral Palsy and mental health issues, since starting my blog I've had so much support and my confidence has increased so much. One thing that has made me incredibly happy is knowing that I am helping others so my ultimate dream is to set up my own business raising awareness and letting others know that a disability doesn't have to stop you enjoying life :) You can check my blog out www.seemenotcp.wordpress.com and remember 'You're all amazing & life is too short to be unhappy' xx
  • dizzydingbat
    dizzydingbat Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi there,

I'm 25 and don't get me wrong, having a disability can be a right party pooper at times.

My physical state kind of took a nose dive about a year ago and subsequently, I began to need carers to help me with the simple things. At first I was dreading the idea of having someone in my life on such a personal level but a year or so on, I'm back to being able to enjoy my life again.

The girls that help me crack me up on a daily basis and they encourage independence at every opportunity, I love having them around.

So, despite the negative turn in my life, it's actually meant that I've met some fab people (who are almost as nutty as me!), the energy I save due to having help means that I can do other things too thus, I'm happier.
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited January 2015
    Being born 9 weeks premature and the doctors were saying at the time, due to the brain damage I would never be able to talk, sit up, walk etc......
    With a huge amount of help and support from family, some incredible friends who I’m not able to thank enough, and not forgetting the medical professionals, I have, and continue to prove the original prognosis wrong! As, so many people, in the same situation do, given the right opportunities. Yes, things take longer, and are much more of a challenge, but it makes you, who you are, and even though I regularly dream of being able to climb a mountain, and walk normally without pain one day. Giving up, is not in my nature.
    It is such a great feeling when you achieve something new, that you thought was beyond your ability. When I was about 9 years old, I so wanted to be able to ride a two wheel bike, like all my other friends, yes I had my 3 wheel trike which my friends thought was really cool, but I wanted so badly to be able to ride a two wheel bike. We were privileged to have a very long garden where I used to live, so every day I would keep trying, and trying, lots of crashes, including trips to A&E did not put me off, and yes eventually I learnt to ride a two wheel bike. It felt amazing, and the best part of all, was telling my doctor who said it would never be possible! She then wrote a letter which I still have somewhere, to say that I could now ride a bike with stabilizes…..!! Well of course, I had to put her straight, and I wrote a letter straight back enclosing a photo of me riding my two wheel bike!
    For some reason or another, I didn't ride a bike much for a few years, until about 20 months ago, when I lost my driving licence, for a few months due to medical reasons, there I was thinking, how am I, going to get about now, as my car is also a lifeline to my mobility and independence, then I thought, my bike, that’s the answer, at this point I had just come out of hospital and when I tried to ride my bike 1 mile it nearly killed me!! Not to mention, how unstable I was, and how I fell off quite a few times, including once in front of a car! But I was very determined, and slowly but surely, I have been able to achieve more. Over the xmas break I managed 100 miles in 5 days which is a new personal record. At the start 1 mile nearly killed me, now 30 miles along the exe trail is possible, enjoying the most magnificent views. When I was out last, a single leg amputee steamed past me on his road bike, so very impressive. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I’ve finally discovered a good form of work out, that I can do, and really enjoy. Yes every cloud does have a silver lining; you just have to look, for the not always obvious opportunities and possibilities.
    So what else have I gained from having a disability. The opportunity to work on the scope forum, I love helping people make progress and reach their potential, I guess in the same way, that so many people have been there to help me over the years, and continue to do so. Surrounding yourself with people that make you feel good is so important. Having a disability, perhaps has taught me, to try not to be too hard on others, and not to be judgmental, and maybe a little more understanding, although I’m learning all the time!
    It is massively encouraging to see so many other individuals, who are also defeating the odds, and have achieved so much more, than was ever thought possible. Keep setting those personal goals, that help you reach your potential, and every now and then look back at the progress you have made. It is one step at a time, however small – You can do it :-)
  • Vickeyweaver
    Vickeyweaver Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    My beautiful eldest son will be 21 on Monday 19th January, he is on the autism spectrum and he makes me proud every day!
    He has achieved so many positive things, and overcome many challenges.
    I am grateful he is in my life ❤️
  • mushla
    mushla Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    My son with severe brain damage can make me laugh just by laughing himself, he has such a rich chuckle. I never cease to be amazed at how much he appreciates life despite all the pain and hassle his brain injury has caused him. He laughs at the wind in his hair or the sun on his face or even simply because the pain in his joints has eased off. He is a real inspiration to everyone who comes into contact with him!
  • AWolfsAngel
    AWolfsAngel Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I'm a fundraiser. I normally spend my days looking for people who will support Scope with donations, but every once and a while I get a story that really makes me smile. The other week I had a young couple come up to me in a grocrey store asking about Scope and what it was about. They were pushing a twin pushchair. As I was talking to them I was cooing over the little girl who was in the upper bassinette and asking about how they were finding being new parents. Bless them, They told me they were having a bit of a hard time because the little boy had CP. I popped my head down and had a look at a handsome little guy sound asleep in his bassinette. His parents said they wanted to give him the same life as his sister so I pointed them to the website hopeing they can get some support. I like to think that as small as he was I may have made some tiny positive diffrence is his little life by directing his Mom and Dad to the wonderful source of information and support that is Scope.
  • redchicken43
    redchicken43 Community member Posts: 48 Pioneering
    There are some pretty impressive and encouraging stories here, but would like to offer my experiences to the forum. I was born with what I now know to be CP, but throughout all of my younger life and well into my twenties I had no idea really of what my condition was, my parents never talked to me about it and to this day they still don't, but I guess this was their way in coping with it and in no way did they treat me differently to my abled bodied brother, but as a result I guess I never considered myself to be disabled in any way. I would do try to do most of the things other kids did, as a teenager to would go to pubs and clubs (warning-alcohol is fun but really messes up the coordination and often I would look like a dancing windmill!!). I was able to get a job (seeing peoples faces at interviews when they see me is precious!!), learn to drive (what do you mean you want to drive an un-adapted car!!), buy a car/house (note to oneself- Is a house with three floors really a good idea!!), get married and have children. This is by no means an attempt to boast in anyway about what I have achieved is more a case of me in some way trying to give people some degree of hope. In my younger years I would have never thought that I would have a 'normal' life, whatever that is, but I think I am getting pretty close. Yes it can be challenging at times and who knows what the future holds for any of us so its important to make the very most of every day!!!
  • rachelcl
    rachelcl Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    edited February 2015
    I've met Harry Judd (McBusted drummer) four times and his little face lights up whenever he sees me. He's also cuddled me.

Brightness