Sports — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sports

Options
SLPTutor
SLPTutor Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2016 in Research and opportunities
As a college tutor I'm trying to find out what sports or active activities I could do with a group of 7 adults. One has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair, another has very restricted use of his left side but walks unaided, three have issues with motor control to varying degrees as part of their downs syndrome and two are overweight. I'd like to encourage them to be more active but in a way that is fun, perhaps competitive but not necessarily. Any ideas?

Comments

• Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The Nintendo Wii or similar can be fun, engaging and is an accessible activity that all abilities can normally take part in to some degree, regardless of disability. There are some interesting studies online to show how the wii fit can help improve people with different types of neurological conditions including CP, motor control skills.

What about some wheelchair sport?

I have been very impressed, personally on what http://wheelygoodfitness.com/ have achieved, maybe something along those lines might work.

Please let us know how you get on,

All the very best

Noah

P.s If you haven't seen it, Watch "the Best of Men" film, it is most inspiring and it might give you some ideas!

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.