mobilty aids — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

mobilty aids

Options
placey
placey Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Mother aged 93 gets about OK with standard tri-walker. Pavements and tracks in home town are in poor condition with many pot-holes. I am considering buying on-line a "Veloped Sport" from Sweden due more robust and with so called climbing ability. Mother short (5 ft) but still manages 2/3 miles a day. Anyone any experience of the veloped? It seems heavier than basic tri-walker but do larger wheels and smoother ride compensate? Not intended for use at home but for shopping and outdoor walks on less than perfect road/track surfaces

Comments

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi

I have never seen a 'veloped sport' in the flesh but from their website they do appear to be considerably bigger and heavier than a typical tri-walker. Bigger wheels are better at coping with rough surfaces than smaller wheelers but the 'veloped' does appear to be a fairly large item for someone 5ft tall to use. It looks like the 'veloped' gains some of the additional stability needed for off-road walking by having it's three wheels further apart from each other than a typical tri-walker, hence it is a bigger bit of kit to try to manoeuvre about. Maybe another solution to giving your mother increased confidence when she walks over rough ground would be to swap her tri-walker for a rollator designed rugged outdoor use, such as: http://www.cosyfeet.com/topro-olympos-rollator#.VaUow0pwb5o
    4 wheels offer more stability than three wheels but whenever possible it is best not to buy equipment without first having it's suitability assessed by an Occupational Therapist. I realise that it is a while since you posted your query did you find a solution for your Mother?
    Best Wishes

Jean M

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness