Activity ideas for severely disabled toddler — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Activity ideas for severely disabled toddler

Sam_Toucan
Sam_Toucan Community member Posts: 24 Connected
edited September 2015 in Children, parents, and families
I am father to twins, nearly 3. I am divorced and only see my children at week-ends. Obviously I want to make the most of the limited time I get with my children.

My son has severe cerebral palsy, epilepsy and visual impairment. He is non-verbal, feeds via a PEG and takes a lot of medication. Despite these challenges he has an inquisitive nature and is eager to explore the world. He especially loves being around other children and getting involved in play activities.

However I am struggling to think of things to do with him, that aren't boring for his twin sister. The logistics of transporting two children on my own, along with the feeding and medication equipment for my son are very challenging. Generally we either stay at my house, go to the park or sometimes visit friends. Wet weather activities are particularly hard to think of.

Any ideas?

Sam

Comments

• NikiM
    NikiM Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    Hi Sam,

I don't know where you live but a couple of things I used to do with my little girl were soft play activity places or a local petting farm - there is one near us that has an activity centre inside with soft play etc and then a petting farm outside if the weather is good. They would cater well for both you children. We go to Willows Farm in London Colney but I am sue there aerial a few dotted around the country.

More recently we have tried ice skating (you can put the wheelchair straight onto the ice) and your little girl can use the stabilisers they have to get herself around, we visit the local stables to feed the horses or we go swimming which I admit needs a high adult to child ratio.

Don't know if any of these fit the bill but hopefully some might.

Niki
  • Sam_Toucan
    Thanks for the ideas. I live in south London, I've checked and there are a few petting farm places nearby. I didn't realise you could ice skate in a chair, I may give that a go when winter comes!

Sam
  • simonsable
    simonsable Community member Posts: 75 Connected
    Sam, how stable is his wheelchair? If it is really stable, perhaps his sisters can push him round the ice rinks? Speaking as someone who uses a wheelchair, it is great fun!
  • Sam_Toucan
    Yes the wheelchair is pretty stable. And he loves it when we put the music on and I push him around while his sister is dancing. I'm suprised it works on the ice though, doesn't it stick?
  • joden1
    joden1 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
    HI
    You could make a sensory area with lights they both can enjoy together esp good on rainy days !
    josie
  • janlgs
    janlgs Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    My son with a disability loves to watch other children playing, something we shied away from feeling it would be too frustrating for him, but turns out he loves it! He particularly likes skateboard parks, may be useful as your boys grow older. Steam trains with disabled access were always a hit and there are sensory play areas that both could participate in. My son is now 24 and though it was difficult at times, both my sons have thrived because of their relationships with each other. Just try and make time to be with each of them individually too.
  • JenniferU
    JenniferU Community member Posts: 108 Pioneering
    Hi @Sam_Toucan - we posted your query onto our Facebook page and there are some great new responses you might like to read: https://www.facebook.com/Scope/photos/a.10150097277124806.282941.358706239805/10153599077024806/?type=1&theater
  • Sam_Toucan
    You probably should have checked with me before cross posting my thread onto Facebook. Not everyone wants their information on this platform. Also someone seems to have changed the title of my post!
  • JenniferU
    JenniferU Community member Posts: 108 Pioneering
    Sorry about that @Sam_Toucan - we thought a lot of the parents on our Facebook page would be able to offer you some advice - hopefully you got some good ideas!

Brightness