Parents, carers and disabled parents
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Want to give us your opinion? Complete our annual survey.


Just wondering if anyone has any advice my 7 year old daughter has severe autism and when she is distressed she hits out and scratches me and her 2 other sisters just seeing if anyone knows what I could do to try and calm her to stop it from happening if possible.


  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi Alyssa123,

    The Challenging Behaviour Foundation has lots of information on their website which you might find helpful. They also have a telephone and email helpline if you wanted to talk to someone in person and get some tailored advice. More information on their website
    I'd love to hear how you get on.

    Debbie :)
  • GinaSGinaS Member Posts: 79 Listener
    Hi Alyssa,

    I agree with Debbie's recommendation to contact the CB Foundation - they are very helpful.

    Also I'd advise you to speak to your GP and ask for a referral to CAMHS. A Behaviour Practitioner (or Psychologist) will be able to do an assessment of the behaviours that seem challenging and together you will come up with strategies to support you and your family.

    Does the behaviour also occur at school?

    Sometimes behaviours that challenge seem to happen "out of the blue" but there is always a reason (they are "functional" for the person) and a practitioner will be able to help you and identify the pattern (Does it occur at certain times of the day? Maybe before or after certain events? What do you think is the behaviour trying to communicate?)

    You could also post in our "Positive Behaviour Support" page for further advice (

    I hope that helps, please let us know how you get on.

Sign in or join us to comment.