behavior — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

behavior

Options
alyssa123
alyssa123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Just wondering if anyone has any advice my 7 year old daughter has severe autism and when she is distressed she hits out and scratches me and her 2 other sisters just seeing if anyone knows what I could do to try and calm her to stop it from happening if possible.

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Alyssa123,

The Challenging Behaviour Foundation has lots of information on their website which you might find helpful. They also have a telephone and email helpline if you wanted to talk to someone in person and get some tailored advice. More information on their website http://www.challengingbehaviour.org.uk/
    I'd love to hear how you get on.

Debbie :)
  • GinaS
    GinaS Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Options
    Hi Alyssa,

I agree with Debbie's recommendation to contact the CB Foundation - they are very helpful.

Also I'd advise you to speak to your GP and ask for a referral to CAMHS. A Behaviour Practitioner (or Psychologist) will be able to do an assessment of the behaviours that seem challenging and together you will come up with strategies to support you and your family.

Does the behaviour also occur at school?

Sometimes behaviours that challenge seem to happen "out of the blue" but there is always a reason (they are "functional" for the person) and a practitioner will be able to help you and identify the pattern (Does it occur at certain times of the day? Maybe before or after certain events? What do you think is the behaviour trying to communicate?)

You could also post in our "Positive Behaviour Support" page for further advice (https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/25219/ask-a-behavioural-support-practitioner)

I hope that helps, please let us know how you get on.

BW
    Gina

Brightness