I applied to my council to be housed on the basis that my parents house isn't suitable for my needs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I applied to my council to be housed on the basis that my parents house isn't suitable for my needs

Comments

• BitsyVonDutch
    BitsyVonDutch Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I applied to my council to be housed on the basis that my parents house is no longer suitable for my needs. I had an occupational health assessment who agreed I would benefit from a ground floor flat.

The council put me in band 2 (housing need, but not urgent). The case handler said I may receive an offer within months, or years....but I didn't appeal this decision as she mentioned it could take months to be offered housing. After phoning for an update it was re-iterated that I would be unlikely to be offered anything and this has sent me over the edge.

I've been told that I can re-apply, with evidence showing that the house is directly affecting my health (but with no guarantee I'll be placed in a higher band).

I am at my wits end and my mental and physical health has taken a severe nose dive since being told I'm stuck in my parents house for the foreseeable.

What can I do? Thanks
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi BitsyVonDutch,

Sorry to hear that you're at your wits end with your housing.
    I would like to discuss this with you in a bit more depth. Are you able to contact me at the helpline again?
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi BitsyVonDutch,

Sorry to hear that you're at your wits end with your housing.
    I would like to discuss this with you in a bit more depth. Are you able to contact me at the helpline again?
  • Debbie_Alumni
    oops a few technical difficulties here, I hadn't finished and now it has posted twice.
    Anyway.....
    are you getting support with your mental health. Are you currently engaged with the mental health team in your local area?
    Is anyone else supporting you at the moment?
    Any evidence you can provide to the council will be helpful and whilst they 'may not be able to give you a higher banding' you could be considered homeless on the basis that it is unreasonable for you to continue to occupy the property and the council will then have a duty to investigate under homelessness legislation rather than allocations. This is not an easy case to put forward and might not necessarily be the best way forward but it is an option to explore. Ideally if you can get into a higher band this will be better and will not require the use of emergency accommodation. It's all very complicated unfortunately.
  • BitsyVonDutch
    BitsyVonDutch Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I'm on GP prescribed anti-depressants again; on for 4 years, off for 1, back on again and am on the waiting list for an NHS 3 week hospital residential for pain management/rehabilitation (including physio, occy health and psychology) but it's going to be at least 8 months before that actually happens because the waiting list is so long.

I've asked my consultant rheumatologist for a statement regarding my housing situation but she won't write anything until she's seen me at the residential. I just feel like I'm totally helpless - the longer I stay in this house, the worse I get, but I can't do anything until I've been on the residential which is some time next year. I've tried calling my housing case handler for her advice about reapplying before my residential but she's hard to get hold of (never at her desk it seems).
  • Debbie_Alumni
    It certainly sounds as though you're doing all the right things but as with everything at the moment, it's the waiting times for things to get done and these can be very long.
    Do you have a social worker supporting you and if so what are their thoughts on this?
    I hope that you're able to get in touch with your case handler soon. Let me know how things progress and contact me anytime if you need further help.

Brightness